T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
moving from basic spot prints to what your client is asking for will be a challenge. you're moving from low detail designs to high detail designs, this means dialling in all your steps from exposure to printing technique.
In my opinion, the design they want done would be best approached with CMYK if going on a white ground. the colours will not be accurate and the client should be aware of this (blues may be more purple as an example).
How many colours can your press hold? i think you'd need at least 8 colours to get a decent reproduction with simulated process or even index.
if you've never exposed halftone dots before, that will be your first thing to dial in. using a step wedge test and halftone calibration pattern you will need to see how much detail you can capture with your equipment/materials. 280 mesh would be best to start with for CMYK prints.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I can't see printing a solid spot of white on the shirt and printing the color on top of that as an option.. it would be too heavy of a print, and I'm not down with that. So am I looking at a 4 color, plus white for highlights?

I have just recently purchased 305 mesh screens from my supplier, and can get 280 mesh I believe. I also have a few 230 mesh screens here on hand as well.

I have an 8 color machine, but have had problems with a couple of the arms staying registered. I realize this may be a bigger issue with such fine dot patterns, the registration having to be spot on.

I have printed halftone dots before, but never calibrated my exposure time with the dots. My experience has been using a filter in photoshop to get the halftone pattern, as the computer printer I have now is older than me.. and is not post script capable.

Could you give me a little more detail on a "step wedge" test? Will I have to have a post script printer to do this?

Thanks again!

Sam
regarding the underbase, you can do a halftoned version, it doesn't have to be solid (convert image (original, not the index version) to grayscale, invert to create your underbase)

for the step wedge test, contact your supplier and ask if they sell Stouffer 21 step exposure guide.
you can also try the exposure test BroJames posted Step Wedge Exposure calculator - T-Shirt Forums

i also have my own custom halftone step image at different lpi.
The Stouffer 21 step is an actual film and my halftone test strip has the halftone patterns already done, so no RIP needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.