T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. I'll start from the top..

I have been screen printing for a couple of years now, only doing spot color set-ups. I have been wanting to get into higher end prints, simulated process and 4 color etc. I have no experience in these methods, so I am as green as it gets when it comes to these kinds of prints.

I have an opportunity for a large job to come in to our shop, and would like to not say "No, I can't print that.."

So.. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations on a couple of things -

A printer - Epson? Any other brands that are reasonably priced, but will print post-script dot patterns for us to do process printing. I need large format printer, which will print separations at least 17x17 in size.

A separation program - I need something that will separate the artwork into the channels needed for 4 color and simulated process. I am currently using AI CS3 and PS CS3 - Can I do this with these programs, or does anyone recommend a separate software or plug-in?

Inks - I have read that I can use standard inks for simulated process prints, and of course the process inks for CMYK 4 Color, but is there any other inks I should look into to make this printing more streamlined, and less headache :)

Price Quote - I have been pricing only spot color designs, and am about clueless as to what kind of pricing goes into simulated process and 4 color process.

I am manual press facility, so we do everything by hand. Is there anything I should be mindful of about printing these methods manually?

I know there will be a learning curve when it comes to this type of printing, so any advice from the professionals that have been doing this for a while is so much appreciated.

I have attached a link of the full color print they want. They need 650 pcs printed. Could anyone give me a ball park figure on what these would cost to print? I get my blanks at wholesale, so I am trying to figure a cost with print. Not looking to outsource these, I really want to dig in and learn how to do this myself. I know I can be successful at this, but would appreciate some guidance.

DIGITAL PHOTO AND DESIGN, LLC :: Photo & Graphic Design Services :: From Business Cards to Billboards | City of Amory 125th Anniversary Logo Designs | Photo 1

Thank you so much in advance, I am quite desperate to have some of these questions answered.

Best Regards,

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red514

Thank you for the reply!

I am not sure what color tshirt they have decided to go with at this time. I would assume if it is a colored shirt, we will have to put a white underbase. My fingers are crossed they want these printed on a white tee. I can't see printing a solid spot of white on the shirt and printing the color on top of that as an option.. it would be too heavy of a print, and I'm not down with that. So am I looking at a 4 color, plus white for highlights?

I have just recently purchased 305 mesh screens from my supplier, and can get 280 mesh I believe. I also have a few 230 mesh screens here on hand as well.

I have an 8 color machine, but have had problems with a couple of the arms staying registered. I realize this may be a bigger issue with such fine dot patterns, the registration having to be spot on.

I have printed halftone dots before, but never calibrated my exposure time with the dots. My experience has been using a filter in photoshop to get the halftone pattern, as the computer printer I have now is older than me.. and is not post script capable.

Could you give me a little more detail on a "step wedge" test? Will I have to have a post script printer to do this?

Thanks again!

Sam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.