T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1675 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
This will be very cool. I already use Simple Seps and Fashion Factory. My customers love the way I e-mail them a mockup shirt. Tom has very good products.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Thanks for posting this Jerid. Sounds like it's not coming out for the next 6-12 weeks?

I dig that he's going the open source route. I'm sure that was a hard choice to make, but I think it might be a very smart move. Let's hope it takes off!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks for posting this Jerid and thanks for the feed back from the rest. Rodney you got it right, it was a difficult decision but in the long run I had to look at what I felt would be best for the Industry.

An open source solution will give users the ability to customize more easily and more affordably for individual business models and niche market sites. Open source will also give small shops with limited budgets a free starting point.

If we are very fortunate some good developers will get on board and start developing modules and other tools for the system and so on.. Thus creating rapid progress of the system with affordable open source plugin/extentions options at the same time.

Looking at it and saying to ourselves "what will be best for industry?" Open source was the obvious choice.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks Tom! We're from a small town, trying to reach out and currently paying for a service. They're just not t shirt guys, so I can't wait to see what you've come up with...
We had more or less completed the system before I decided to do this. At this time we are restructuring all the code in the system for a FREE open source launch of product. Uff a bit of a night mare because we have to restructure all of the work into a modular format that will allow other developers to create modules and customize the system as easily as possible.

Open source is allot more than just putting your software and code out there open and free. You have structure your software in a specific manner that allows other developers to work with it more easily. In short we have to optimize our code for an open development environment. I know for some this is hard to understand but bear with us while we get this together.

Why open source? In all honestly I would never use anything but open source for a web based project!!!!! And I have had great success on the internet with my sites. AdvancedArtist.com I hand coded in simple PHP back in the day and PHP is open source. All the most popular formats for web business are open source why...????

Your web site is the virtual location of your business on the internet. It is like the building you run your business in now but is online on a server. If you are not using an open source solution for your web site it would be like trying to run your business on a property and building you could never change unless your land lord decided to make the change and or agreed to it. Even something as simple as relocating a manual press would require owner approval, expenses and permission.

So, lets say you start a web site with a non open source system and 6 months down the road you want to make major modifications and changes to your virtual business... based on a new marketing strategy or idea. Guess what? If you are not in open source your options will be extremely limited unless the company that developed your system is willing to make the changes for you because it is there code and system and they decide what can and can not be done with your businesses virtual home.

But if you are in a FREE open source system you can simply hire a few freelance programmers to go into your system and make the modifications affordably.

By going open source we believe we will open the market and the industry in incredible ways.. and unleash hopefully many businesses large and small to do new things easily and affordably. Everybody on this planet wears t-shirts.. everyone!

IMHO if it is not open source do not use it.. And all my current sites are in open source solutions.

Stand by we are working on this...

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMHO if it is not open source do not use it.. And all my current sites are in open source solutions.

Stand by we are working on this...
I only wish this was the case for desktop design software but alas, if you want real professional results you often need to resort to a "professional" application. I have struggled for some years trying to make GIMP and Inkscape really work for screen printing (with both Ubuntu and Windows) but where it counts Photoshop, Coreldraw, etc just have features that are essential that are missing in the open source alternatives. Mainly, in printing output - both functionality and ease of use. I have switched recently to the Coreldraw suite and I am using it in conjunction with Accurip and it's much better suited for screen printing. (I still do much of my raster editing in GIMP though...I love the interface)

Where am I going with this? Well I am REALLY excited about your project here because this is open source AND it's being developed by someone who knows what a screen printer might need. That's huge.

Anything like this is sorely lacking in the development of GIMP and Inkscape. They are relatively easy to use and very powerful, that is until it's time to set some halftones or convert to CMYK or have any true spot color support. None of this is really being developed for either app because most of the output from GIMP and Inkscape remains digital. (web, pdf, etc)

Anyway, very much looking forward to this! Is there a mailing list somewhere for updates?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tom -- this looks like a great tool. In addition to t-shirts, I have a company that produces magnets...and we do a lot of custom shapes (LogoMagnet) -- will this tool allow us to use our standard shapes instead of t-shirt as the background?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh...one more thing: I've not looked at a lot of tools like this, but if I am correct, yours is the only one that will allow you to "spot color" individual elements of the design...is that right? All our designs are in illustrator. Will we have to convert them to CDR files in order to use this feature?

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is really exciting stuff! I know those of us that end up giving it a go/ using it in our business will be really happy that you went with open source!

Definitely have a donate
Option :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome!! Please put a donation link so that we can help pay for your time in developing this for the industry. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm looking forward to see this project running =) It's a couple of years since I had the largest DTG and e-commerce service in sweden (we also had a flash design tool). And if the industry can get an open source project I think everything will grow and develop much faster :)

1 - 20 of 1675 Posts