T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is likely a simple solution in the "effects" drop-down panel, but I'm pretty new to Illustrator and I'm still getting my bearings when it comes to gradients and how they can be applied.

I've been asked to recreate an image for a customer in which the outside of the image is made of LARGE dots -- it appears to be two rows. A solid, leading to large dots, leading to an outside line of small dots.

I do have a cropped photo which i'll post a link for in a moment. My question is: How do I create the large gradient on the outside border of an image like this? I know how to create the solid version of the shape.

Any help is very much appreciated, and my apologies for having to ask the annoying "newb" questions.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
that's a halftone effect. you could create your own 'art brush' by creating filled black circles one on top of another and duplicate them side by side. select them and drag them into your brush palette window. it will ask you what type of brush you want (art). then all you have to do is draw a line with the pen or line tool select that brush in your palette and you have a halftone effect. in that area continue to build the design and then select those brush strokes go to object>path>outline strokes then move those dots to where you want them to merge in your design click on those new objects you created and shift click the portion where you want them to merge and hit merge in the pathfinder window.

or you can do it via the effects. this is a great tut:

Creating a Halftone Pattern | Vectips

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.