T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, my wife and I came up with an idea for a second line of T-Shirts, completely different than the site I have now. I think I'd like to register the name and start building a site.

Is it possible to add another domain name to my existing site and have it point to a different set of pages? So basically, I'd have 2 sites hosted for the price of one? :)

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to? Would it affect search engine ranking?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Is it possible to add another domain name to my existing site and have it point to a different set of pages? So basically, I'd have 2 sites hosted for the price of one?
You should check with your host about the ability to host separate domains on one hosting account. Many hosts are starting to allow this (since it doesn't cost them anything extra and most customers have plenty of space/bandwidth left each month).

I would suggest keeping it separate (not as pages on your existing domain).

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
That's what I like about being my own host. I can do unlimited sites within my space I own. I currently have 7 of my own and I make sure there is a link to each one so that helps in my ranking.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Neatness and professionalism as well - domainaboutcats.com/subdirectoryaboutheavymetal/index.html doesn't make for nearly as an inviting url as domainaboutmetal.com

As Rodney said, most good hosts will allow you to fully host multiple domains on one account at no extra charge (i.e. you have domainA.com and domainB.com completely separate, but pay the same price for hosting). Others will charge, but it's still cheaper than getting a whole new account.

·
Registered
121 Posts
if your host allows additional domains, you might want to look into how the stats are compiled for that domain. with my host, even though the alternate domain has a unique url, its stats are lumped in with my other site. i can decipher what's what if i dig a little. but after almost a year, that's starting to get old.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
It's definitely a feature I recommend.

My personal domain, my partner's domain, my business domain, and one of my relative's domains are all on the same account. It makes them easier to manage, and a lot more affordable. You can pretty much afford to add a site on a whim this way, since it'll only cost you $10 (for registration) and your time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts