T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I get an inquiry from a top organization interested in distributing some of my products in their online catalog. Pretty exciting. They ask what my wholesale terms are. Problem is, I don't have them...just yet!

• Is there a pricing formula for determining wholesale cost?

• What's considered the standard for payment in the t-shirt industry?

• Are there any pitfalls I should keep my eyes open for as we negotiate?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The inquiry is from an NPO related to the message of my shirts, so they are not in the apparel business at all. I suspect that they will use my shirts to raise money.

Am I the only one who is learning about the t-shirt business through the baptism by fire method? ;)

·
2,957 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
baumwolle said:
• Is there a pricing formula for determining wholesale cost?
Half of the retail price.

I got my first wholesale order at a convention I was working and I had no idea what wholesale prices were for shirts, so I had to sneak over to another t-shirt vendor and ask. :eek:

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
baumwolle said:
So, today I get an inquiry from a top organization interested in distributing some of my products in their online catalog. Pretty exciting. They ask what my wholesale terms are. Problem is, I don't have them...just yet!
thats nice.
you can always ask them what qty's they are looking for? and where they will be selling the goods (zzoning).

then figure out how much it's going to cost you, mark it up 20% or MORE and give them the price.

there you have it. The to come price list started..... :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, there's some comfort in know that i'm not the only one learning this as i go along! thanks for the info so far.

i didn't see anything about payment terms in the links. are wholesale orders usually prepaid or net 30?

calling for more info now...wish me luck!

·
2,957 Posts
Varies greatly.

Tell them your policy is payment up front, and they are welcome to submit an application for net30 on future orders.

See what their reaction is. If they insist on net30, just tell them that maybe, just maybe, you are willing to accept net30!

If they are local you can just deliver them. If you have to ship them, they pay for shipping.

Also make sure you get their resale # for your records!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts