T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
The example you show is just a distressed overlay, and washed out looking colors. There are many ways to achieve the distressed look. This is actually the simplest. With that said it is effective. There are some free distressed overlays available on the web, photoshop brushes, as well as whole plugins to do the job. Since you use corel you should check out the Advanced Artist distressed generator plug in. While I've never used it due to my using Illustrator for so long I have watched the videos and they look great. Amazingly easy but not so uniform that it shows up looking like it was easy. Also I have some distressed overlays I downloaded from one of the free sources years ago and I will share if you need it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be awesome if you would share! I just did a little research and it seems as though you have to pay for a lot of them. I am just working with a simple design with text and am not printing that many!

·
Registered
16 Posts
the way i do it is (using illustrator, it should be similar in corel) i make a brush that has some choppy lines, spatters, and dots and such, and i put that on top of the solid design and subtract it from the shape area. dunno how you would do it in corel, but that should be a starting point. plus you can find brushes like that for free...

·
Registered
963 Posts
That would be awesome if you would share! I just did a little research and it seems as though you have to pay for a lot of them. I am just working with a simple design with text and am not printing that many!
What program are you using? I have a huge selection of distress effects that I use in photoshop and they were all free.
I even took photos of old wood and peeling paint and made a few of my own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using CorelDraw.

And that's awesome that you make your own! If you have the eye to find those patterns you must some pretty sweet designs! I am all new to this...

Let me know if there is anything you can share.

My e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure i know how to get there. I clicked on the link and then went into 'Forums' at the top and typed in OpenID as 'Fluid' and it says this user cannot be found. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did get that distressed overlay, but I am trying to achieve many different looks. For instance, more of a cloud-like image, a less-speckled image, etc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another way to get some good distress overlays is to find free scratched/corroded/grungy metal or wood photos and live trace them (or whatever the Corel equivalent is) as black and white images. Obviously you'll need to play with the settings to achieve your desired look, but it's not too hard and there are a million places on the web where you can find royalty free textures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts