T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start selling at some street fairs, etc. As of yet, I have no need for a merchant account, but would like to establish one for the upcoming fairs. Customers will spend more when able to use a cc, and MORE customers will shop if able to use a cc.

With that being said...any of those that accept cc's. Do you pass the 2-4% fee onto your customer in any way? As a "credit card convenience" fee?

i.e. One price for cash, a slightly higher price for cc's?

Many gas stations around here do it, I've seen it done at some other places too. Just wondering if anybody here does, and do you list it as a "cc convenience fee"? Or what?

Also, I'm looking at Square for the iphone. Since I want to be able to swipe, to avoid "no card present" charges. Anybody have any others they recommend that can be done away from the shop? (I've read the previous posts, they are rather old, thought there might be some new info out there):rolleyes:

Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think the gas stations give a cash "discount" not a surcharge on CC.

I do not think CC companies look favorably if you charge more for CC-you may want to read the agreement before you sign it.

You might be able to do a minimum purchase without violating an agreement though.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
CC companies do not condone passing the fees on to customers....As pointed out, it is okay just to give cash discount...but that can be a pain...just raise your price across the board by 2% and that should handle the extra cost for CC and of course you make a bit on the cash customer

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the other posts. DO NOT charge for CC use. Raise your price and then give a discount for cash. I would not give the discount for cash myself. Also, most all merchant service companies have a service where you can accept payment by calling the card in. You call a 800# and that's it! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts