T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was at work and i was talking to a print who dad runs a print company and she told me i could make my own silk screen.. i was baffled cause i never knew that..she gave me a list of equipment that i would need to purchase and a website called Dickblick.com...so i been thinking...i dont know if i want to make my own silk screen because i have absolutely no clue what im doing and not in a good enough stable fininical situation just to waste money if i make it wrong..

But i checked out the kits on the website Dickblick.com and they got one for about $350 but it said i have to iron both sides of the screen..the first thing that came in my mind is that its going to have that cheap iron on effect is that true? And does anyone know if this kit has the potental to print quality goods if used right? If not could someone refer me to one...im looking to print small runs of shirts and max 3 or 4 colors.. Can anyone help me with my matter?

·
Administrator
14,726 Posts
Can you post the link to the kit so we know which one you are talking about?

Blick has a speedball kit for around $35 that is a good starter for newbies. It will at least guide you through the steps of burning your first screen.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
she told me i could make my own silk screen
You can, but they're so cheap I'm more inclined to recommend buying them. The tension of a professionally stretched screen will be a lot better than what you'd make at home without the correct equipment.

it said i have to iron both sides of the screen
No it didn't. You don't iron the screen, you iron the printed substrate. Big difference.

the first thing that came in my mind is that its going to have that cheap iron on effect is that true?
No. The iron is to cure the ink. It will be nothing like a cheap transfer.

And does anyone know if this kit has the potental to print quality goods if used right?
If used right, yes.

·
Administrator
14,726 Posts
silk screening supplies one, hands down. A much more professional set up. This is the one I bought when I first started out. You'll still need an exposure unit, but they have a good halogen one cheap too.

I don't think the blick one allows for any off-contact settings. The other one does.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i should buy the one from silkscreening.com not dickblick? Also how much would an exposure unit cost and where a good place i can get one of them from? Also is there n e thing else i would need with this kit?

·
Administrator
14,726 Posts
So i should buy the one from silkscreening.com not dickblick? Also how much would an exposure unit cost and where a good place i can get one of them from? Also is there n e thing else i would need with this kit?
You will need:

1. Film transparencies

2. exposure unit: Screen Exposure Stand

3. Dryer (that heat gun takes forever and is inconsistent)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so u think after i buy that kit and the extra things needed with the kit..the total will be around 500 or something? Do you know where i can American Apparel shirts in bulk without having to register an account or anything?

Also I would like to thank you for ur help too..gladly appericated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts