T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres a lot of posts on this issue, but im not really asking for much help except for if there is anything wrong with what im about to post. so here it is, the supplies and build and specifications to my exposure unit.

-6 F20T12 Unfiltered Blacklights 24'' long
-1 22''x26'' unfiltered quarter inch glass
-2 5"x26" pieces of cut wood
-2 5"x22" pieces of cut wood
-1 22"x26" slabs of wood

Demensions of the box will be
22" Wide
26" Long
5" Tall

my math might be off a little as far as the bottom of the unit and the glass but as far as overall design i think im ok hahaha. other then that i plan to get the Stouffer 21 step gray scale to understand my exposure time which i have heard must be at step 7 of the 21 steps for good exposure

let me know what you guys think!

thanks
Sonny!

· Registered
9,603 Posts
I built a light box..which has 6 20 watt 24 inch black lights ....distance from glass is 5 inches...I get a solid 7 in a 4 minute burn......good halftone detail also.

Inked
Is the 5" from glass to tip of the UV tube or depth of the box? And what is the center-to-center distance of your lamps?

Thanks.

· Registered
83 Posts
I also built an exposure box similar to what you are going for. One thing I wish I had of made differently was to make it a little bigger so I could expose 23x31 screens.

My box is 26x26 with 6 bulbs. I can burn the larger screens, but I have to add more emulsion to the part of the screen that was hanging over the edge after burning to fill the large gap of unexposed emulsion.

I am thinking of rebuilding my box soon.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
I built my box so I could burn a 23 x 31 screen...not that I burn the big screens much..but it comes in handy when I need to.....Im thinking of getting a 17 x 22 inch epson printer and all new 23 x 31 screens and 18 x 20 platens , so I can do some oversized printing.....I find myself wishing I had all the bigger printing capabilities.......

Inked

· Registered
83 Posts
I wish i had asked these questions before I built my light box. I just jumped in and built my box without even knowing the common screen sizes. I was lucky that the standard 20x24 fit perfectly. At that time I was building my screens using canvas stretcher bars (what a pain!).

@Inked. I just recently got a cheap piece of coated particle board from home depot for 12 bucks. I was able to make a 14x16 youth platen and an oversized 18x20 platen out of that one board (and also could make another 16x16 as a backup with the leftover). Im sure you have seen posts on here about that, its well worth it. I also ended up tracing the neck part from my standard 16x16 platen that came with my silver press, so all the platens have the neck part too. Swapping the bracket is time consuming, but with the savings I'm thinking I could get more brackets soon.

· Registered
9,603 Posts
the box I built is 25 inches x 36 inches.....there are 6 bulbs ...5 inches from tip of bulbs to the glass...Im not sure what center to center is...I spaced them out by eye......im about to add 2 more bulbs..I have an extra ballast...I need the bulbs now....

Inked
Center to center is the distance measured from the centers. With your given dimension it should range around 4 to 4-1/2".

· Registered
2,003 Posts
@ Angel

thanks for the explanation......i think 4 - 4 1/2 is about right...I have 3 double ballasts ...so the c to c is constant and not changeable...I will measure later tonight(friday) and post my findings.

@ Justin

I am thinking about doing the same thing...trace my adult board and transfer it to a piece of mdf to make the 18 x 20 boards....I also have an extra bracket from my silver I will use.

Inked

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.