T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, hello everyone. This forum is da bomb!

As a newbie, I have a couple of questions that arise:

1. When using illustration software to print graphics on Inkjet heat-transfer paper, how do you set up to print WHITE graphics. When printing on regular paper, white is handled by the absence of any other color. How does it work with this special paper which is white?

2. When first experimenting with heat transfer, before commiting to pricey equipment, can one get satisfactory results using an ordinary home iron for plain text?

3. Is it true that screened graphics on tees are more durable than heat-transfer ones?

Thanks for your help with these fundementals. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
1. When using illustration software to print graphics on Inkjet heat-transfer paper, how do you set up to print WHITE graphics. When printing on regular paper, white is handled by the absence of any other color. How does it work with this special paper which is white?
I just design and print without any thought to the white parts of my image, so I guess just do that and it will turn out fine...

2. When first experimenting with heat transfer, before commiting to pricey equipment, can one get satisfactory results using an ordinary home iron for plain text?
Id say that you "can" use an iron for just some test product, but I wouldnt attempt to sell the items that you use an iron on. You really need alot more heat and pressure than what a normal iron is gonna give you.

3. Is it true that screened graphics on tees are more durable than heat-transfer ones?
I believe so. But I could be wrong! Ive never done a duriblity test against the two styles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there, about your white question, I use either a very light shade of grey or blue, depending on what area of the graphic I am doing, I find that with red line paper if I dont colour that area the Tee shirts shows through.,with opaque (or blue line) as I call it it doesnt seem to matter as its white anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your informative responses.

My question about printing white, specifically, is what does one do if you want to print ONLY white on black? No outlines, no other colors. In the graphics software it would look like the page is blank!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You have a problem. You will have to use an opaque transfer and print the background black and your lettering white. And with illistrator you can outline the graphic for viewing. Now remember you will have to trim around the design if you putting it onblack ****. Do you understand the concept?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You have a problem. You will have to use an opaque transfer and print the background black and your lettering white. And with illistrator you can outline the graphic for viewing. Now remember you will have to trim around the design if you putting it onblack ****. Do you understand the concept?
That wouldnt look very professional though. For that type of printing, you will want to get a vinyl cutter, or use plasticol transfers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts