T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, seems I'm here more and more lately... sorry!

I just sent in that post, not as a bad post, I thought it was a great post, but knew it also fell into the same category as the other one, and saw the edit comments and knew... another about future products... dang.

Which leads me here. If there is more to it, I totally understand... but without knowing anything more, I am going to ask about this:

I can see how you wouldn't want the threads growing in length and being jammed up with talk about products that do not yet exist. Hearing about r&d that is in the works really does prompts us to ask alot of Q's about them, and I def see how we can clutter a thread.

But on the other hand, we loveeeeeeeee hearing about the things brewing, new products on the horizon, update and improvements that are in the works for our current products, which usually are the cause of our headaches.

Is there anyway we can have a place or a small section on the forum for Product improvement or r&d info?

How about a section to discuss the products we use?

Like a heat press section divided by paper, vinyl, and plastisol. If we want to know about Ironall dark, we go to the ironall dark thread, for the good the bad and the ugly on it, and hopefullly.... info on improvements planned to the product.

There has to be a good handful of threads all talking about the failure of ironall dark. A section for product specific threads might lead us all to one discussion we all can partake in about it.

I don't know, some of this is off the cuff as I write to you, I just know that I love to hear about product news, but understand the need to not clutter regular threads with talk of improvements not yet made to products.

DTG section could have seperate threads for HM-1, Brother, Kornit, Anajet, Inks...

Okay, thanks for your time. I really love the posts on improvements planned so I figured I'd give it a shot, but in the future, to help keep threads clean, I'll pm my Q to whoever posts about future stuff and send the post in "for review" (lol, I don't like the feeling of "reporting bad post".. first of all, I don't know that it's bad... I just know I'm not sure if it is good. That's why I send it, for you to decide.)

Okay, have a super great night.
Kelly :)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
But on the other hand, we loveeeeeeeee hearing about the things brewing, new products on the horizon, update and improvements that are in the works for our current products, which usually are the cause of our headaches.
I definitely see the increase in "new products on the horizon" type posts, but there are some issues that come with those type posts that are for products "in the future" (I sent them to you via PM)

The best way to know about the new, upcoming products would be to subscribe to those vendors newsletters or blogs so they can communicate that type of promotional news directly to you.

How about a section to discuss the products we use?

Like a heat press section divided by paper, vinyl, and plastisol.
Yes, the heat press (and screen printing and DTG and dye sub) sections will soon be reorganized to be more specific.

Many of the categories that we have now were created over 3 years ago when I didn't know which sections would be popular. When starting a forum, you don't want to have "too many" sections with no posts in them, as that makes the forum a bit uninviting. Now, 3 years later, I have a better idea of what questions are asked and how to better categorize things to make the info easier to find. Plus we have enough posts to fill up all the "subsections" for each subject.

The structure would be similar to how the "Fulfillment" section is setup now (with different subcategories for CafePress, Spreadshirt, Printfection, etc). A main section for "Heat Press" and then "subsections" for equipment, printers, inkjet transfers, plastisol transfers, vinyl, etc.

I don't think that it will be broken up into product specific forums, as the products and names are changing all the time, and it would be a challenge to keep up with. But by having the "Inkjet Transfers" category, people will know to go there for info about jpss, ironall for darks, etc.

Same with the DTG section of the forum. I'll probably add sub sections for the Brother, TJET, Kiosk, etc.

send the post in "for review" (lol, I don't like the feeling of "reporting bad post".. first of all, I don't know that it's bad... I just know I'm not sure if it is good. That's why I send it, for you to decide.
That's exactly right :) It's more of a "send for review", but "report bad post" was the best wording I could come up with that would let people know what to use the link for. It used to say "report post", but people would click it to "reply" to a thread. So it sort of needed an adjective to help define what it was for.

But reporting a post doesn't make it a bad post and it doesn't automatically get it removed,edited or deleted :)

It basically sends it to us for "review" so we are directed right to the post that is in question (without having to search all over the forums for it). Then we read the post and if necessary, read through the thread to try to get a feel for what's going on. Some things are easy (like cell phone spam), other things are more challenging (like what type of info is just "factual" info from a vendor and what is "sales" information from a vendor which is posted to generate sales)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
By the way, one of the phenomenons that you're seeing with the same question being posted over and over is just one of the "facts of life" for discussion forums.

No matter how well organized they are, there will always be people who are new to the site or new to the forums, or new to the web in general who will post the same question that has been asked several times.

It's not a bad thing, it's just something that we (we as forum members) have to get used to. Even if there is a dedicated section for a specific product, people will still post about that product or ask questions because they aren't sure how to find past topics or they aren't sure if the search results they received have a thread with the answer to their question, or they don't feel they have time to search (or one of a hundred other reasons).

I definitely will try to do my best to make the forums as easy to navigate and as organized as possible, but at the same time, I realize that people will continue to post those same questions over and over. What is the 100th time for us is the first time for many people.

Just thought I'd add this part on...thinking out loud :)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely see the increase in "new products on the horizon" type posts, but there are some issues that come with those type posts that are for products "in the future" (I sent them to you via PM)

The best way to know about the new, upcoming products would be to subscribe to those vendors newsletters or blogs so they can communicate that type of promotional news directly to you.

Yes, the heat press (and screen printing and DTG and dye sub) sections will soon be reorganized to be more specific.

Many of the categories that we have now were created over 3 years ago when I didn't know which sections would be popular. When starting a forum, you don't want to have "too many" sections with no posts in them, as that makes the forum a bit uninviting. Now, 3 years later, I have a better idea of what questions are asked and how to better categorize things to make the info easier to find. Plus we have enough posts to fill up all the "subsections" for each subject.

The structure would be similar to how the "Fulfillment" section is setup now (with different subcategories for CafePress, Spreadshirt, Printfection, etc). A main section for "Heat Press" and then "subsections" for equipment, printers, inkjet transfers, plastisol transfers, vinyl, etc.

I don't think that it will be broken up into product specific forums, as the products and names are changing all the time, and it would be a challenge to keep up with. But by having the "Inkjet Transfers" category, people will know to go there for info about jpss, ironall for darks, etc.

Same with the DTG section of the forum. I'll probably add sub sections for the Brother, TJET, Kiosk, etc.

That's exactly right :) It's more of a "send for review", but "report bad post" was the best wording I could come up with that would let people know what to use the link for. It used to say "report post", but people would click it to "reply" to a thread. So it sort of needed an adjective to help define what it was for.

But reporting a post doesn't make it a bad post and it doesn't automatically get it removed,edited or deleted :)

It basically sends it to us for "review" so we are directed right to the post that is in question (without having to search all over the forums for it). Then we read the post and if necessary, read through the thread to try to get a feel for what's going on. Some things are easy (like cell phone spam), other things are more challenging (like what type of info is just "factual" info from a vendor and what is "sales" information from a vendor which is posted to generate sales)
Thanks, Rodney. I appreciate the response, and hope the re-organization goes smoothly for you.:)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
By the way, one of the phenomenons that you're seeing with the same question being posted over and over is just one of the "facts of life" for discussion forums.

No matter how well organized they are, there will always be people who are new to the site or new to the forums, or new to the web in general who will post the same question that has been asked several times.

It's not a bad thing, it's just something that we (we as forum members) have to get used to. Even if there is a dedicated section for a specific product, people will still post about that product or ask questions because they aren't sure how to find past topics or they aren't sure if the search results they received have a thread with the answer to their question, or they don't feel they have time to search (or one of a hundred other reasons).

I definitely will try to do my best to make the forums as easy to navigate and as organized as possible, but at the same time, I realize that people will continue to post those same questions over and over. What is the 100th time for us is the first time for many people.

Just thought I'd add this part on...thinking out loud :)
Whoopsy, I wasn't complaining at all, I was just wondering if there'd be a way for all of us to get together. I'm not one to complain about folks posting the same Q over and over. I'm sure my q's were redundant at some point, and still are when I am learning about new stuff. I try to find the info out there, but sometimes, there is so much newer stuff on the return, my info may be 3 pages back, but it's out there. I just don't know it.

My q was more leading to a way for the others and myself to converge on one spot. In the same respect, we're all trying to locate ourselves in one place, usually, so we're all sharing all the info on a matter. We'll link each other up to other threads on the matter at hand, trying to create a complete web on all the information floating around out there, to help us piece together the occasional puzzle. LIke connect the dots.

I wasn't looking at it from the answer side of multiple postings, I was looking at it from the user side of gathering all the info in one place for us to figure these things out that we encounter.

I hope that makes sense. :)

I think I'm one of the folks that tries to help lead folks over to the sections they need to be in to get help. I never mind that. :)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Whoopsy, I wasn't complaining at all, I was just wondering if there'd be a way for all of us to get together.
Nope, I didn't say or mean to infer that you were complaining :) Just explaining things and thinking out loud.

You mentioned trying to get others to converge in one spot, and I was just commenting that it can sometimes be a challenge for people to find that "spot" to see that it's a gathering place for similar information.

I think once the forums are reorganized, it will be easier to "gather" though :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts