T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i have a person that wants some black shirts for their business. Right now they have been getting the gildan 5000 but they hate that they fade so fast. Is there another brand or style of shirt that anyone knows of that does not fade as fast as the gildan 5000? I told them that all shirts will fade but we may be able to find one that holds up better than the gildan.

thanks in advance for any help!

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Did you ask them how they're washing them? We normally have good luck with Gildan, Hanes, and Jerzee.

However, my wife washes them inside out, and doesn't dry them in the dryer. She hangs them. After a few months she puts them in the dryer. Seems to work better that way.

The other thing is we have hundreds of t-shirts due to the business.

Polyester seems to hold up real well. I've had sample t-shirts that I've received from trade shows that last a long time.

The only t-shirts of my customers that I've seen fade are those where the businesses sweat alot. Seen a few around town. Other than that, they've lasted a long time.

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you ask them how they're washing them? We normally have good luck with Gildan, Hanes, and Jerzee.

However, my wife washes them inside out, and doesn't dry them in the dryer. She hangs them. After a few months she puts them in the dryer. Seems to work better that way.

The other thing is we have hundreds of t-shirts due to the business.

Polyester seems to hold up real well. I've had sample t-shirts that I've received from trade shows that last a long time.

The only t-shirts of my customers that I've seen fade are those where the businesses sweat alot. Seen a few around town. Other than that, they've lasted a long time.
Yeah they say they use cold water to wash...i havent had any problems with other customers shirts, this will be a new customer so i want to do some research to see how i can help them with this problem...i was told anvil holds up pretty good as well as the beefy t's by fruit of the loom...can anyone comment on these as well as any others you know that may not fade as fast...thanks

· Registered
8,278 Posts
Ha ha ha...sorry, dont know what i was thinking...sorry, but do you know how they hold up?
I print a lot on gildan and no problems. But if they sweat in them a lot as mentioned the salt will bleach any 100% cotton shirt out. For this use a 50/50 dry blend. The beefy T in black I don't like as compared to a gildan the look bleached out.

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I print a lot on gildan and no problems. But if they sweat in them a lot as mentioned the salt will bleach any 100% cotton shirt out. For this use a 50/50 dry blend. The beefy T in black I don't like as compared to a gildan the look bleached out.
Ok, thanks for the input...so if i go with the black dry blend how will the white ink print? I ask cause i know white on a red dry blend can give problems...any help is needed...i have never used dry blend shirts...do they print the same as all cotton shirts...how about shrinking after washing?

Thanks

· Registered
8,278 Posts
With all polyester and blends there is a chance of dye migration. Low bleed inks or additives are best but I have gotten away with using standard inks many times. I run all my poly and bends through the dryer before printing.

· Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all polyester and blends there is a chance of dye migration. Low bleed inks or additives are best but I have gotten away with using standard inks many times. I run all my poly and bends through the dryer before printing.
Ok, i will give it a try and see what i can come up with, thanks for the input...can you share any tricks that helpped you get by with regular inks?

· Registered
163 Posts
I had a lot of shrinking and fading problems with those Gildans myself, now I've been trying out some of the blends. I got a Bella Canvas black shirt from the ISS show in Feb and its a really great shirt. I have washed it a couple times already and its still dark, real soft and the screen printing still looks good on it. They cost a little more but the quality is worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.