T-Shirt Forums banner
281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thank you for taking the time a doing this "experiment" ;)

I have ordered free samples from a few of the companies you posted and I may even be ditching my starter screen printing equipment and going this route. Seems to be a lot lot easier for simple designs.

Sent from my HTC One X using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, Rodney, for that initial review and thanks to everyone else who has contributed. What a ton of useful information:)I'm totally new... still in the process of ordering my first heat press and contacting suppliers for samples so all this is very, very helpful!

I would like to add that I requested a sample pack from Howard's and got a very quick response from Quintin Howard (VP/gen manager) asking if I wanted the simple sample or the full sample pack. Once I responded I received another email within the hour stating that the sample would be in the mail today. So far I've been really impressed with his level of communication.

I've also received a sample pack from TransExpress. I haven't gotten to use any of them (as I'm still waiting on heat press), but the sample arrived very quickly and contained a catalog and multiple types of samples. No real communication between us, but my request was fulfilled quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I followed this threat a little while back and decided to try and request samples from almost everyone on that list. What I found was a lot of them had moved to a paid sample pack. Some of them, such as Howard, Transfer Express and First Edition sent me samples for free and very quickly.

I have had the chance to use all of them and each differ in their own little way. For me Transfer Express was the easiest and most consistent in final quality. Having said that - First Edition was really easy and a good quality as well. I did have a couple issues with one of their screens but when I called and talked to Janet I realized it was my lack of experience that caused the issue.

Howard sent mostly sports items, Transfer Express send a nice range of their options and First Edition did the same but also included some glitter and foil options. I emailed everyone and either had to fill out a form or chatted via email. I didn't have to speak to anyone, which in a way was kind of nice.

To me the biggest factor was Janet at First Edition - she was amazing and super nice. plus I like their options and gang printing options. Transfer Express was nice, they never followed up and seem to be a big company and I didn't really have any personal contact with them, though I did like their product. It really came down to Transfer Express and First Edition for starting out, and because of the attention to detail, helpfulness and the feeling like they actually wanted my business I went with First Edition - Janet really is awesome. She was super helpful with setting up my custom transfers.

That's not to say that I wont use another option for a different type of screen - like if I moved into sports First Edition would full fill that need.

Having said all this, I have been seriously considering moving into the screen option as well. Setting up a little studio in my house. I'm thinking this because it's a lit easier to do one offs and not have to order 12-15 minimum. Yes it takes a bit longer but once the screen is done I can save it and ink is fairly cheep. This would allow me to showcase an actual printed shirt on my site as well and not a mock-up I created.

So, that's where I'm at. I'd love to hear where some of you others are at.

Jon

·
Registered
44 Posts
wow awesome post. It's good to see things like this for newbies. This process looks much easier than screen printing. Is it cheaper for shops to heat press? I will be screen printing basic designs, but will leave the complicated stuff to the pros.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've read through all the threads and I still can't figure out which transfers to buy for printing my own art work for dark shirts. For example, I have a design that only uses green and yellow words in various layout. I can't seem to figure out which transfer paper to buy for a royal blue shirt that won't have the white backing on it. I'd like it to look just like a screen printed transfer. Is that possible? I have an Epson WF7620 and have printed many of my own designs already for light colors, but am still stumped on the darks. Thanks for the help. I have a HUGE order to do and really need to figure this out.

·
Administrator
15,560 Posts
I've read through all the threads and I still can't figure out which transfers to buy for printing my own art work for dark shirts.

It's not so much the paper you need to figure out; any plastisol transfer paper will do this for you.

It's the ink. If you want to avoid using a white underbase, you'll need to use an opague plastisol ink.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an Epson WF 7620. I was able to contact Pro World early this morning, lovely being on the west coast and most suppliers are mid to eastern standard time. She suggested their trimfree paper. I'm feeling very lost.

·
Administrator
15,560 Posts
I have an Epson WF 7620. I was able to contact Pro World early this morning, lovely being on the west coast and most suppliers are mid to eastern standard time. She suggested their trimfree paper. I'm feeling very lost.
You posted in the plastisol transfer thread. You can't make plastisol transfers with an inkjet printer. You can only make them using screen printing equipment.

The information you are looking for can be found in this part of the forum: Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper - T-Shirt Forums. Browse through the posts here and acquaint yourself with what's available.

281 - 296 of 296 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.