T-Shirt Forums banner
241 - 260 of 296 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
It sounds like a quality plastisol transfer is right up there with
a screen printed shirt.
Yes, when done right, I don't think you could tell the difference.

Actually, a few t-shirts that I have that I know are plastisol transfers have a nicer (smoother) feel that some of the directly screen printed t-shirts I have.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ok, so I was unhappy with quality of DTG on darks, so after much research on the forum, I decided to try out plastisol transfers.

I used the 5% discount offered to forum members @ Coastal Business to get the Hotronix auto-open 16x20 clam press + free shipping. Although I didn't get a tracking # as promised, I ordered the press last friday and got it TODAY. (2 business days to D.C.!!)

I had a sample pack of plastisol transfers from F&M, so of course I fired it up and pressed my 1st transfers...:)

The 1st image, "flush" (fashion formula) was my 1st transfer ever, and I obviously screwed it up. Edges came up, did not peel good.

Ramped up pressure to the "6" setting. The "bono" design (fashion formula) peeled a lot better but left a couple of tidbits on the transfer paper.

Ramped up pressure to "7", reduced temp to 325 for the "freedom" transfers. This pressure did the trick, the transfers peeled like "butter" as they say.. Holy cow, the freedom transfers came out incredible, and the hand was not as bad as I thought it would be! (As a matter of fact, DTG prints with heavy underbase prints have just as thick a hand, if not thicker..)

The number 0 transfer peeled like butter as well. I think this might be their spot athletic transfer. The last one is a spot transfer, not sure which formula.

All in all, i'm incredibly satisfied with the quality and hand. The fashion formula is opaque as everyone says. Next i'll run these through the wash a few times to test washability, but I think these should be the same as regular screenprinted shirts..:)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Morning all. I just finished a batch of one color transfers from F&M Expressions. It had pretty heavy coverage and I used fashion formula for dark navy T's. Actually, I was quite pleased with the result as was the customer.

The customer service was solid but for a small glitch on their end. My only wish is that they would have made good somehow on the delay in receiving the transfers (a hurry up job) since the error was on their end in inputting credit card info.

I have two more jobs pending and as of now, it seems that this is a company that has worked out quite a few kinks. And their prices are very good.

I will see what happens with the next order or two before making a judgment but it looks pretty good to me. The Freedom sample came out beautifully - use lots of pressure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Rodney.. u have been like a saviour
thanx a ton for taking all that pains to figure out the results for us.. u rock:)

well i had a question??
what about the wash stability of transfer prints?? are they as robust as normal screen printined garments??
and does the print remains bright after regular use just as conventionally printed t-shirts??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Rodney,

Maybe this post is older but it will get you ready for this challenge(maybe not:( haha

Why not do all Canadian Suppliers of Plastisol/Screen print:)

Yea I know "Why, why would I" because I think you rock and I read all your posts pretty much! will that do? Oh and I am in Canada, and really try staying with Canadian suppliers for shipping times and duty charges:mad:

C'monnnn dooo it! Id be so happy, I would do it if I didnt work from home and have a toddler hanging off me 80% of the day..

The joys..

Oh yes Im current;y using Stahls Canada, and yes they are great but expensive

I found Venture Graphic samples not like "butter" (Maybe I didnt give all the transfers a fair chance, samples were shipped in a flimsy envelope that the transfers got bent as well no catalog..)

Im currently using The Maxx 15*15 heat press by Stahls as well.

Melinda
True Love Design
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Yes we have snow still in April!!! boo

241 - 260 of 296 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.