T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm planning on trying my hand at screen printing in the near future, and I'm pretty sure about where I can get my hands on all the equipment, where I'll set up my workspace and all that, but I'm really wondering how I'm going to go about rinsing off the emulsion after burning and image and then reclaiming a screen later on down the road. Unfortunately I don't have access to one of those big laundry sinks to do all the rinsing work; the only place in my house where I can really rinse anything out is my bathtub. But...I'm a little uneasy about that, especially when it comes to the nasty chemicals used to reclaim screens. I'm not sure I want to rinse emulsion and reclaiming chemicals out in the same place where I shower every day (and where my roommate does as well), so I'm wondering if there's an alternative. Rinsing things out with a hose in my backyard is a little disconcerting, too, rinsing out all that crap right onto the grass. I can't afford one of those huge rinsing stations, and I'm renting the house I'm in now, so I can't install any new appliances or anything. What do you guys do to rinse out your screens?

Thanks, folks, appreciate any help you can give.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi KMAN ,
As for reclaiming the screens , I've read about a lady with a "green" shop , that reclaims all her screens at a car wash . She claims that the water is filtered and reclaimed there , so it was the best for her shop .
As for washing out the image on your screen , I wouldn't recommend using your bath tub either . The emulsion stains and will clog your drains .
A wash-out booth is very useful . It's self contained and can be filtered .
Good luck with your screens !
~d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply. The car wash idea isn't a bad one, so thanks for that. Unfortunately I can't afford a wash-out booth, though...so I'm still at a loss about how to go about rinsing emulsion out. Any other ideas? What do you all do?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Most of the chemicals used as well as the inks are water soluble, so it won't hurt your drain or the city water system, with the exception of haze remover.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After you burn your image , you can lightly spray the screen with water , then place it in a black garbage bag and take it outside , then spray it off while it's still in the bag . Just don't expose it to direct sun light until it's completely washed out . then take your screen out , let the emulsion settle on the bottom of the bag . pour out the water and throw out the emulsion on the bottom .
I've never tried this myself , but i've heard that it's done this way when you don't have a wash-out booth .
Hope that helps ,
~d

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Once you expose the screen its done, light cant hurt it, You spray water on both sides to loosen the unexposed emulsion.
Then wash out the print area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool, good suggestions. I would have never thought of the garbage bag idea. I'll try to see if I can find some more eco-friendly materials when I finally buy them, so that they won't be as gnarly on the environment or whatever. But thanks a lot dudes, big help. If anyone else has any additional input, I'd be more than appreciative....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Washing out an image doesn't require a big wash out booth. If exposed correctly you can easily wash out an image using a spray bottle of water. For parts that don't wash out so easily a blast with a hose should work no problem.

As far as reclaiming a power washer makes the job a lot easier but I've done it with a garden hose. If you do a good job cleaning the ink off the screen the washed out emulision won't make to big off a mess on the lawn.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used to do it two ways before i got my wash out station. I have one of those big deep kitchen sinks and I would just take it inside and wash it out in there with the faucet sprayer. It got pretty messy with emulsion so then I got one of those big plastic tubs with lids from target and cut out the side for easy access and just used that outside with a waterhose to wash out the screens. I drilled out a hole at the bottom of the tub and put a little drain plug there to empty the water when done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts