T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine paints amazing portraits that win in competitions and art shows and whatever else. He finally decided that he wants to put his paintings onto shirts and has been talking to me about it. Up until now all I have done was basic shirts in heat pressed vinyl, and some simple 2-3 color designs with plasticol transfers.

I'm not quite sure that plasticol can even produce this many colors. Im talking hundreds of colors probably. with all the shades and whatnot.

What other routes do I have? I want to stay away from printing them out on transfer paper mainly because I want these to last a long time and I dont have any kind of printer that could even print them out as big as I would probably need them... Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you go with dtg printing, I would suggest your friend gets his art work professionally photographed. A good photographer will be able to duplicate the image so that it looks just like the orginal. Then give that image to the dtg printer.....you will get phenomenal results! Otherwise, you will just be printing a photo of the art work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And an airbrush would be completely out of the question. I'm talking about a painting that took him upwards of 40 hours. Unless we can charge around $500 per shirt, I'm thinking thats not going to work out.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
DTG would be a great way to go, as long as you have some who knows what they are doing. As Jasonda mentioned, get a good photographer.

To me, Freedom Transfers, which a relatively cheap, can be a little too bulky and thick. Especially if they are doing something that is a big work of art.

Heat pressed transfers aren't bad, but they do fade after the first wash.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I just went to the Freedom site, and it shows only a 4 color transfer.
They do full color CMYK transfers.

Art Brands does great transfers as well but I think you need quantity if ordering from them.

They actually produce fine art transfers.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
What kind are those? Plastisol or inkjet?
According to the code system its Trans Art puff printing. I have some of the auto stuff that is very tight and it isnt inkjet.

There are many different printing techniques used by Art Brands from plastisol into matt litho.

They all have interesting names and are associated with the different types of art produced and for what color substrates.

You would probably need to call them directly to get into the real info.

Point being its what they do and they do it very well.

Check out these colors.
High Definition opaque.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts