T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm thinking of producing my own t-shirts to sell and I was wondering if there's a more economical way of cutting the designs, rather than using an optical cutter such as the Roland GX24. Realistically, is it possible to do without such a machine? Can anyone shed any light on what my other options would be?

Thanks for your help,
Mouma :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: Economical t-shirt production

Are you cutting transfers or vinyl.

If you are just using vinyl then you do not need the optical eye (unless you are printing on vinyl with an ink solvent printer first).

There are other cutters out there without the eye that are less expensive and members have had good luck with.

Chad

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
If you're talking about inkjet heat transfers, a more economical way would be scissors :)

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the craftrobo was able to do optical cutting around inkjet transfers as well. Maybe someone else here can confirm or deny that.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I agree with Rodney on both counts. I find it easier to use scissors and the craft robo will do HT transfer. ... JB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses, they've cleared up some issues that I was curious about. I now think that I'm going to postpone the printing of images on vinyl with the optical cutter, and try out the craftrobo instead :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Realistically, is it possible to do without such a machine?
Sure! Contract out your work.

Not sure if that will be economical, however. You will need to properly prep your work to save money in not having the contracting company clean-up or edit your files before running a job.

You can always buy a laser or inkjet printer and make your own designs from a computer. You'll have to cut the printed product out so that the transfer paper will not be applied to the apparel. Scissors work, but not with precision.

Where is it that you need to save money? A cutter is a one time purchase. The material you'd use is a constant purchase as you use it, and deals are always available with material.

AB

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Thanks for your responses, they've cleared up some issues that I was curious about. I now think that I'm going to postpone the printing of images on vinyl with the optical cutter, and try out the craftrobo instead :)

Were you thinking of "printing" images onto vinyl (like you print on paper), or were you going to send designs to the cutter to be cut out for you? There's a big difference. If you get the craftrobo, you can cut inkjet heat transfer paper designs out, and cut designs on vinyl. The max width of the design is less than 8" tho.

Other affordable options to the Roland that are less money are the CraftRobo Pro which does a nice job, from what folks say. If you search the Craftrobo Pro on the forum, you'll find alot of feedback on it. Another step down worth checking out is the US Cutter laserpoint. Again, a search on that name will return alot of feedback from users worth reading. Both of those machines will contour cut your heat transfers, as well as cut your vinyl. They may be able to handle more types of vinyl than the craftrobo (check that out, I believe these other two are hardier) and they will cut larger designs for you. Good luck to you. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts