T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to say hi!

I have been reading the boards for a while and there is a TON of great info here. Thanks to whoever -- Rodney?? -- set this forum up and thank to all the people who have contributed!

I am in the very beginning stages of my t-shirt business -- still in planning mode. I am thinking of starting a t-shirt business to spread Love, Peace, Tolerance and Forgivess. My shirts (and other apparel) would have meaningful quotes and graphics as a way to create "Walking Billboards for World Peace".

I am calling it BodhiGear because bodhi is an ancient (Sanskrit -- a "dead" language like Latin) term which describes an awakening. I see a spiritual awakening around the world and I want to help it. Also, BodhiGear is a play on words -- Body Gear.

Anyway, hello and thanks for all the info here.

Namasté and peace.

(Namasté is another Sanskrit term which, loosely translated, means, "The Light in me recognizes and honors the Light in you for, in truth, we are One -- the I Am.")

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twinge said:
My mom is into some of the same stuff so we've got some t-shirts in a similar vein, and we're working on adding more.
I like your shirts, especially "Shift Happens" (clever and very true) and "One God" (a very true message although -- IMHO -- the shirt is a bit "busy"), "Temptation", "Sword" and "Latest Surveys".

Can you explain the image on "Eden Gateway"? I don't recognize it.

Who do you use for your t-shirts (fulfillment or do you print yourself)?

All in all, a nice site. I don't see companies like yours as "competition" as I think the world needs all the help it can get!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdr8271 said:
Welcome. I sell alot of stuff like that too.
Yes, except I think that there is a profound -- yet subtle -- difference between being "anti-war" and being "pro-peace".

Question: Is there any copyright issues with using a quote on a t-shirt? I keep going back and forth on this. On the one hand, I keep hearing that you need to get permission from the author/speaker/person to use a quote on a shirt or mug or pmousepad or whatever. On the other hand, if I were to write a book and use a quote from Einstein or Oprah, all I would have to do is use citations (author, publication, date, page, etc.).

What is the difference between a shirt and a book? Both are for profit.

Or, a lot of rap songs use samples of past rock songs. They're safe is the sample is no longer than x seconds (don't know the actual rule). Isn't a quote a "sample" of a whole speech or book or whatever?

How did you justify this for yourself? Did you get permission?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
BodhiGear said:
I like your shirts, especially "Shift Happens" (clever and very true) and "One God" (a very true message although -- IMHO -- the shirt is a bit "busy"), "Temptation", "Sword" and "Latest Surveys".
The 'One God' shirt is definately one of my favorites too. We spent a lot of time making that and I think it turned out good. I don't really think its too busy, but if you wanted a customized version (i.e., without the diety words for example) I could do that pretty easily.

BodhiGear said:
Can you explain the image on "Eden Gateway"? I don't recognize it.
The Angelic Gateway is a special spiritual & geometric symbol. Different people are associated with the different colors/churches based on their personalities. I don't know too much about it personally since that's my mom's gig; you can look at http://www.teachonlylove.com/ for more information or I can provide you with my mom's email address if you'd like to get more info about it in that fashion.

BodhiGear said:
Who do you use for your t-shirts (fulfillment or do you print yourself)?
We print them ourselves used a heat press we bought used. We're about to try out some plastisol so we'll offer select designs on darker colors soon.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Question: Is there any copyright issues with using a quote on a t-shirt?
I think there might be, but this is more of a question for a lawyer :)

I keep going back and forth on this. On the one hand, I keep hearing that you need to get permission from the author/speaker/person to use a quote on a shirt or mug or pmousepad or whatever. On the other hand, if I were to write a book and use a quote from Einstein or Oprah, all I would have to do is use citations (author, publication, date, page, etc.).
Are you sure about that? I have a feeling you need to get permission even if you're writing a book. I've been contacted before for permission when people wanted to use my material in a book.

What is the difference between a shirt and a book? Both are for profit.
I'm not a lawyer, but one could say a book is comprised of a lot more than the quote in order to have substance, whereas the t-shirt relies on the quote as its main message.

Or, a lot of rap songs use samples of past rock songs. They're safe is the sample is no longer than x seconds (don't know the actual rule).
I don't think they are "safe" at all. They have to pay all types of licensing fees and give credit to sample past recordings.

Isn't a quote a "sample" of a whole speech or book or whatever?
I don't think so.

How did you justify this for yourself? Did you get permission?
In order to be safe and to not worry about being sued, it's best to get permission whenever you want to use a quote (like from a movie or something) on a t-shirt.

I think political speeches might be fair game...but don't quote me on that :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts