T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i don't know why but i started crying after reading your post.

you're so sincere.
It was very interesting but it's not like Old Yeller died or Gale Sayers had to tell the team Brian Piccolo had cancer. Geesh, you girls get so emotional. :D
Rodney, be carelful on you updates regarding the process you are trying. You'll probably have Lucy bawling for weeks. :)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
It was very interesting but it's not like Old Yeller died or Gale Sayers had to tell the team Brian Piccolo had cancer. Geesh, you girls get so emotional. :D
Rodney, be carelful on you updates regarding the process you are trying. You'll probably have Lucy bawling for weeks. :)
Old Yeller died? Brian Piccolo had cancer? OMG! Next you'll tell me they killed Bambi's mother! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :(
j/k

·
Registered
16 Posts
If Rodney only gets part of his image to stick on heat press say like a 3 by 4 inch image could he save the shirt by putting a alpha gold transfer over it ? Just asking incase he would have the same learning curve that I had with one of 3 images on my beefy tee. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Awesome! :) a little of "Rodney mistery revealed" and a great thread to look forward to. Best of luck to you!

By the way this thread reminded me something I was thinking a few days ago. I thought that it would be neat for some members to start blog-like threads (kind of like this one) that will have them share their experiences step by step. I know that I will start one at some point. Not just yet because I am not able to dedicate enough time to the project and don't have enough info. I want to do it for myself to have it available as an old reference to go back to.
Many of the questions I've come across on this forum gave me a similar idea to blog about starting a t-shirt business. All of the information that I have read in this forum and elsewhere has made my head spin, so I'm going to try to aggregate it in one place for people behind me in the process to look at. So many people are afraid of sharing business information but I think there is a ton of it that isn't all that confidential -- I don't think sharing my profit margins with someone in Cleveland is going to negatively affect my business.

I also agree that it's a great place to put down your thoughts just for your own use. My husband is always after me to put together a business plan; maybe this is the next best thing, even if it's in diary form. The extra plus is that if someone else is reading it, it's more of an incentive to follow through, which is something I usually have a problem doing.

A huge difference from Rodney's diary is that I have no experience, so I was put to shame with the very organized way that he has laid out the answers to each question. I just kind of ramble and way more long-winded than he is. :D

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A huge difference from Rodney's diary is that I have no experience, so I was put to shame with the very organized way that he has laid out the answers to each question. I just kind of ramble and way more long-winded than he is.
Many of our members start out with zero experience :)

Anytime you have a question or your head spins, feel free to jump in and ask away. Or start a new topic with your questions or rambles, and we'll try to help you make sense of things.

This forum has a lot of information in it, and not everyone learns the same way :) We're also working on a way to aggregate the "answers" part of the forum into a more readable format for people who like jump straight to the answers without the discussion :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
well, I didn't cry over it. I smiled thoughout most of it. You ARE so genuine in your writing, like you're actually talking to us. I very much enjoy it.

More please. hehe

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am still unsure how screen printing and heat transfer differ as far as quality and price. I started a T-shirt business a year ago and find the screen printing costs really high. Since I pay an artist to do my artwork, my profit margin is not great at this point, as I do not have the high volume I need. Would it pay to try printing on my own or find another printer- either screen printing or heat transfer? I have to say I find that my Cafepress Tees do not have the same quality as my screen printed designs.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very interesting! From selling t-shirts to having your own forum. When you read this again, please make sure you pad yourself in the back. Great job!

I am what i am because of you and this forum. I still can't believe i been here 2 years reading and still learning more day by day. This t-shirt buisness is a non stop learning process, and with these forums makes life easier. Thank you again

I just realize im about to turn 1000. lol

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
hows the heat tansfer going I am trying to get my heat tansfer biz up and running so I cant wait to see what you have to say
Personally, I just use heat transfers for small projects and gifts.

Although there are a TON of possibilities with heat transfers (vinyl transfers and plastisol transfers particularly), I wasn't in it to start a huge heat transfer business.

I still have and wear some of the initial t-shirts I made. Some still look good and some you can see my newbie mistakes :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, Rodney, I've tried a lot of different things with regard to transfers...and wasted a lot of money. In fact, I've never made a profit from transfers. I've been everyone else's guinea pig at my expense. I've tried all different types of inkjet, laser, sublimation, etc. The only thing that has ever really worked has been screen printing, except for photo printing. Most newer inkjet papers work really well for photos if you use sublimation ink on them instead of regular inkjet ink. The transfer paper can accept the sub-dye and is very washable. The main problem is that with a logo or design, the clear area around the design yellows over time, but is not really noticeable with a photo. Of course, sublimation works really well on polyester, but the manufacturers have priced everyone out of that market (including themselves) because the ink and substrates are so expensive that no one will buy them. But if you use sublimation ink on transfers and cotton tees, it is semi-affordable. This is my personal assessment of the current inkjet transfer situation.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.