T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I figured this would be a good way to seek info on certain noob questions & at the same time, help other noobs by having one thread that answers many simple questions... So here goes.....

1: Since aluminum frame screens hold up better than wood, aluminum is the way to go. BUT, do ALL aluminum frame screens (and wood for that matter) have the ability to be re-screened, re-stretched???

I for one am ignorant to whether re-screening is something ALL frames can have done to them....

2: If you plan on using the same designs over & over & not reclaiming screens, how many prints should one expect to see from wood & aluminum frames before needing to be re-stretched or re-screened, given that the screens are stored properly???

3: How DO you store a screen properly???

4: Where can you get your screens re-stretched or re-screened, and about how much would one expect to pay to have this service done???

5: Can you re-screen or re-stretch them yourself & if so how hard is it to do... Is it complicated or relatively simple & straight forward???

6: micro-registration.... What is it & what does it do??? If Im correct, micro-registration is need if you plan to print intricate designs with many colors... If you are going to be printing simple font prints & simple designs like a one color tribal design for example with only one or two colors then micro-registration is not needed... Is this true????

7: What about press kits without micro- registration... Will you outgrow it if you are using it for a business tool, but only plan to print simple designs, or will the fact that you only plan on making simple prints make it so you dont need to worry about micro-registration???

8: As far as kits under $1000.00, what would you recommend????

9: What kits around $1000.00 do you know of that has micro-registration????

10: And what about presses without micro-registration, but are designed so that micro-registration can be added on later, are they as good as the ones that already have micro-registration????

I have been studying screenprinting for awhile on the net, and these are some of the questions I had a hard time finding the answers to..... Anyone who has other questions feel free to post them here.... Hopefully this thread can become a good Q&A spot about screenprinting..... To the veterans who help with any of the above questions, thank you sincerely for your input & willingness to share your knowledge with those of us who are just starting out....

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
MikeyFingaz said:
Hey all. I figured this would be a good way to seek info on certain noob questions & at the same time, help other noobs by having one thread that answers many simple questions... So here goes.....
I'm not an expert, but I can get you one step closer to some of the information.

MikeyFingaz said:
do ALL aluminum frame screens (and wood for that matter) have the ability to be re-screened, re-stretched???
Assuming they're still structurally sound (the mesh is ripped but the frame is fine for example), then yes they should.

MikeyFingaz said:
4: Where can you get your screens re-stretched or re-screened, and about how much would one expect to pay to have this service done???
Obviously this will depend on what local services are available in your area, but generally a screen printing supply shop would also offer a re-stretching service (and often an exposure service if that's something you need).

The supplier I use charges roughly 40-60% of the new price of a screen to re-mesh (depending on screen size), but that will vary depending on where you go.

MikeyFingaz said:
5: Can you re-screen or re-stretch them yourself & if so how hard is it to do... Is it complicated or relatively simple & straight forward???
Absolutely. It's not complicated, but if you can't get the screen to the right tension (and even) you're going to be wasting money for no good reason. Screens are cheap, so personally I'd just have it done by a professional. I dare say those more established in the business would balk at that idea, as you can just buy mesh by the roll and do it yourself to save money (and time if there's a long turnaround).

I just don't want to fiddle with doing it myself (and haven't), but you can. This is actually one of the advantages of wood; it's easier to re-mesh yourself.

MikeyFingaz said:
6: micro-registration.... What is it & what does it do???
As the name suggests it facilitates micro (very small) adjustments to be made to your screen registration. Basically it helps ease lining up screens perfectly.

MikeyFingaz said:
If Im correct, micro-registration is need if you plan to print intricate designs with many colors... If you are going to be printing simple font prints & simple designs like a one color tribal design for example with only one or two colors then micro-registration is not needed... Is this true????
In the first example it would definitely be necessary, and in the second definitely not necessary. It is always useful though - even a one colour design needs to be registered on the garment for example.

MikeyFingaz said:
7: What about press kits without micro- registration... Will you outgrow it if you are using it for a business tool, but only plan to print simple designs, or will the fact that you only plan on making simple prints make it so you dont need to worry about micro-registration???
If you truly never went beyond simple designs I suppose you wouldn't outgrow it, but the fact is that even if you do mostly very simple design work you're probably not going to want to be restricted to only being able to. Especially for a business - where you need to meet the demands of the market, not just your personal preference.

MikeyFingaz said:
10: And what about presses without micro-registration, but are designed so that micro-registration can be added on later, are they as good as the ones that already have micro-registration????
I've been told they're not, but I haven't used any myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
one word of advice... if you think that you are going to do only easy designs you will lose alot of bussiness. my second job was three color tight registration. i am buying a micro reg press now (after six months) and wish i had done that the first time

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mike if you live around Arizona you could always take a class at USSIT that should teach you everything you need to know to start off or you might be interested in the book "how to print t-shirts for fun and profit". I'm not sure how in depth the class is I just saw a small part of it while I was at my T-jet class and it seemed pretty good.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
T-BOT said:
does anyone reclaim screens ? or is it just me.
I thought everyone did, 'till I started hanging around here more ;)

I'm guessing the majority of printers do, but certainly not everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts