T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody, I am a sorta newbie to the forum so I am not sure if the questions I have, have been asked and answered, but so far through my searches they haven't so bare with me.

1. Does anyone know if there is a finishing spray availible for use on tees, not a dazzle trans and not just a "high gloss" finish but more or less a protectant that would help keep the transfer from bleeding/fading if a less then surperior pigment ink, or a dye based ink were used, or a customer didn't not follow was instructions. Would Dazzle-Trans work for that? I have used a water decal clear finish spray, and have had mixed results with some of the transfers yellowing a bit after application.

2. Other then Epson, are there any other brands of printer that use pigment inks? I am currently using a Lemark X83 All-In-One printer. Are there any universal Bulk Ink Systems that work on any printer or a Lemark X83? What is the cheapest wide-format printer that uses or can be coverted to use pigment available?

3. I have recently read alot about the new supersoft (little/no hand) easily stretching papers (MiraCool, IronAll ect.) What is the best brand of the new paper, do they also have a dark fabric paper of this kind?

4. Does anyone have any experience using heat tape, for holding transfers in place before pressing? Is there a particular brand better than another?

5. I recently got a large order for shirts (280) that will be heat pressed, I have a 16x20 press that has not been used yet, I was told that a teflon padding should be used when the press will be under heavy use, but I am not 100% on what it is used for? And will I need it?

6. With my recent large order of shirts, my clients first went to a local screen printer who said he would charge them 850$ for 280 white shirts, 240 youth tees (sizes: sml-lrg) and 40 adult tees (sml-xl) with one line of black text on the front. I first thought I would hire out a screen printer either on-line or locally to do the work for me, and charge them a lower rate (about 700$) as I do not have a screen printer of my own and have just started reading up on the process. I soon found out that 850$ my clients were being charged was a great deal, as all of the screen printers I encountered wanted far more then 850$, leaving heat transfer my best option. My question is, are there any tips you fellow tranfers can give me on being able to charge my lower price and still get great quality finished product, while making a profit (cheapest youth tee prices, best wholesale paper, ect.)?

Thanks For Your Time

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi,

6. With my recent large order of shirts, my clients first went to a local screen printer who said he would charge them 850$ for 280 white shirts, 240 youth tees (sizes: sml-lrg) and 40 adult tees (sml-xl) with one line of black text on the front. I first thought I would hire out a screen printer either on-line or locally to do the work for me, and charge them a lower rate (about 700$) as I do not have a screen printer of my own and have just started reading up on the process. I soon found out that 850$ my clients were being charged was a great deal, as all of the screen printers I encountered wanted far more then 850$, leaving heat transfer my best option.
Hi First,

I had potential customers tell me lots of times that "someone else" said they would charge them $X amount of dollars. If it's more than i am able to offer I tell them "I think they should go with the other guy". I value my work and I don't wish to give it away trying to "undercut" someone that is doing a job already dirt cheap.

But simply put you need to make sure they are not "just elling you that" or "it's a real fact". You'll find people willw aste your time so you need to set some "standard in the beginning" how you will handle people that want you to "charge less" than what you normally charge.

You already asked around and find that everyone else is far more so that should give you an idea the prices is too low.

I would plan ahead for other cases like this as they will come;

- ask them to provide you with a "written quote" from the other company and you will see what you can do about matching it.

- if they don't do that you may want to ask the name of the company and ask for your own quote from the company. This may be a bit unethical in some eyes but you sometimes have to "investigate" the competition.

I know each area is different but it seems like $3.03 per shirt for only 280 shirts is a bit low.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
PersonaInk said:
with one line of black text on the front [snip] My question is, are there any tips you fellow tranfers can give me on being able to charge my lower price and still get great quality finished product, while making a profit (cheapest youth tee prices, best wholesale paper, ect.)?
Look into plastisol transfers.

If it's a simple one line one colour print, you should be able to gang a lot of them on one sheet. Should hopefully give you a good quality to price ratio.

(may still be too expensive, but it's worth a look first)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Plastisol tranfers may be your best best, but not much room for error. $850 for 280 shirts is a really great price not sure why they didn't go with it.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
My question is, are there any tips you fellow tranfers can give me on being able to charge my lower price and still get great quality finished product, while making a profit (cheapest youth tee prices, best wholesale paper, ect.)?
Screen printing (I think) is usually a better choice for large runs than heat transfer. For short runs, you'll probably run rings around the pricing of screen printers, but larger runs might be better suited for the strengths of screen printing (one laborius setup which allows easy printing of lots and lots of shirts)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Rodney is right. I would not touch this job for less than $5.50 per shirt heat pressing. I am a bit nervous for you with this large order. I hope you know what your doing. I do use Iron All Transfers which are very delicate to use and I almost have to hand feed them into my printer (Epson) because they stick together. For dark shirts I am using Coastal Jet dark.For a heat presser dark colors are a challange. Even though I only do heat pressing if someone came to me and only wanted words on dark shirts and not picture designs I would find a screen printer or get someone to do Plastisol transfers done as I am doing for a school order.

·
Registered
282 Posts
In answer to parts of your post...

$3.54 a shirt is a great screenprinting price even if there is film and screen charges. And especially if they are going more than 2 colors.

If you are getting into quantity, I would personally send out for screenprinting. For me, that means a customer definitely wants more than 24 shirts. Some screenprinters won't even print that low. There's also DTG option (direct-to-garment) with limitations.

If you are a business with a resell permit, oftentimes there are "wholesale only vendors" which charge less. That's so you as a business can make some money too.

HEAT TAPE IS GREAT...I just purchased some with my ink order from personalizedsupplies.com. I have large design that goes on XL and 2XL
shirts so I like I can tape down the design and not have it shift because I have to press in two parts. Just test your heat tape first. I would hate for the tape to discolor or ruin your blank shirt.

Besides a teflon "pad" (like an ironing board cover), get a teflon sheet and Reynold's baking parchment paper from the grocery store.

I'm sure others will post their thoughts as well :)

I am using heat transfer paper and custom plastisol right now (and cutting vinyl soon) only because I do not want to stockpile screenprinted shirts and be stuck with inventory. When a design hits or I get a large order, then I will send out to a wholesale screenprinter.

Susan

PersonaInk said:
4. Does anyone have any experience using heat tape, for holding transfers in place before pressing? Is there a particular brand better than another?

5. SNIP - I was told that a teflon padding should be used when the press will be under heavy use, but I am not 100% on what it is used for? And will I need it?

6. With my recent large order of shirts, my clients first went to a local screen printer who said he would charge them 850$ for 280 white shirts, 240 youth tees (sizes: sml-lrg) and 40 adult tees (sml-xl) with one line of black text on the front. I first thought I would hire out a screen printer either on-line or locally to do the work for me, and charge them a lower rate (about 700$) as I do not have a screen printer of my own and have just started reading up on the process. I soon found out that 850$ my clients were being charged was a great deal, as all of the screen printers I encountered wanted far more then 850$, leaving heat transfer my best option.

Thanks For Your Time

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not low. But I'm in Los Angeles area with lots of vendors. Some that only do big runs, some small runs, some single color on white only. Plus if you have ongoing business with vendors, they will often comp you or lower the price to just above their actual cost. Susan

printchic said:
I know each area is different but it seems like $3.03 per shirt for only 280 shirts is a bit low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts