T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a full color design with some gradations and other stuff that i think would be to mucch for a screen printer.

could a dtg printer do that?

quality is good right?

how is the feel?

and what is the average size the design can be?

thanks and i will be printing on a white shirt.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I want to get a full color design with some gradations and other stuff that i think would be to mucch for a screen printer.

could a dtg printer do that?

quality is good right?

how is the feel?

and what is the average size the design can be?

thanks and i will be printing on a white shirt.
DTG is one of the best options for printing FULL COLOR images onto your garments. Really, though, depending on your budget and also your image, you should weigh the pros and cons of what would work best. DTG can be more expensive, however as I said, depending on your image, it may be less expensive to screen print. Screen printers should be able to handle gradients, but if you have multiple colors, that's where it could cost you.

Print quality is fantastic if done correctly, and should hold up fairly well to washing, however, not AS well as screenprinting IMO.

As far as how it feels? You can barely feel anything there before the print is washed, and feel nothing but the shirt, after it's washed.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I totally agree with Ann, the dtg feels fantastic and has great detail capabilities. As far as gradients any of the epson based dtg's will work great. I know that the brother's do not do the gradients as well as the epson based printers though. So if you have alot of gradients I would look to an epson based machine for printing. The sizes vary greatly machine to machine, there are large format dtg's and smaller format dtg's. The smaller format which is what I use is 12.5" x 18' print area. where as I know the flexijet has a very large format, dont know the exact size but bigger then mine :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
We have the Flexijet-L and we can print up to 17" X 53" with a special platen we made that covers the entire bed. Most of larger shirt prints are about 15" X 20" on the large shirt platen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe our HM-1 will print 12 x 18. It is Epson based and prints excellent gradients which no screen printer can produce. At least not in the smooth fine dot patterns DTG can produce. I will agree that screen printing on shirts will probably hold up longer but how many people wear the same shirt three or four years. By the time the ink starts to fade or crack the shirt is probably past its useful life anyway and becomes a shirt you wear to do yard work.

And best of all, you are printing on a white shirt. Not having to pre-treat a shirt will help keep your colors consistent and any issues with over/under spraying are eliminated. Good luck on whatever method you choose.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone

another question, You can print on dark/black shirts right? you have to use white first right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts