T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why but I feel like print screening is such a difficult task that I will never be able to do it.

My concerns are:

Once you burn the image into the screen, (with the light source..i'm not sure of the proper name for this process), what happends if for some reason the image doesn't fully register into the screen?

What if it's like 75% on there? when you wash off design? reclaim the screen and do it over? Or what it to much gets burned in? Do you clean it up with a paint brush?

Also has anyone ever had a problem with paint getting on a shirt you are printing? Maybe paint is on your hand and you put the shirt on to be printed and then paint gets on the sleeve?

I would be pissed off to be waisting shirts?

Also how many times can you reclain a screen before it's garbage?

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ken Styles said:
Once you burn the image into the screen, [if you make a mistake do you] reclaim the screen and do it over? [...] Do you clean it up with a paint brush?
You pretty much wash it out and start again. Mistakes happen, but the more practice you get the less mistakes you make (as with anything else in life). Using proper equipment will also help a lot (i.e. sun exposures are very hit and miss, but a professional exposure unit is reliable).

Depending on the problem (pinholes for example) you can sometimes fix things with a brush, but if you outright make a mistake you'd probably reclaim the screen and start again.

Ken Styles said:
Also has anyone ever had a problem with paint getting on a shirt you are printing? Maybe paint is on your hand and you put the shirt on to be printed and then paint gets on the sleeve?
Again, this is certainly something that can happen, but as you gain experience you'll learn to be less messy, making this a lot less likely. If you're careful you can mostly avoid it. Other than that, if you're printing with plastisol you can use spot cleaner to clean off unintended spots of ink.

Ken Styles said:
Also how many times can you reclain a screen before it's garbage?
This I still haven't figured out precisely, but often enough to be worthwhile (screens aren't that expensive and they definitely last quite a while).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ink gets on shirts all the time, well hopefully not that often but there's a ink removel gun that break down the ink nad it even removes ink after it has been cured. They work great and will pay for themselves especially if your printing on "higher end" garments.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I totally understand where you're coming from, Ken. I just printed up my first batch of tees last Saturday and it was a bit intimidating. But after a couple of hours of banging away at it I noticed that I got more comfortable with it.

I've paid to have my screens exposed though, because I have no interest in buying the necessary equipment/chemicals to burn screens.

There's a local art supplier downtown that sells wood frame screens for $20 and will expose them for another $20. I've been putting two designs on a screen and they don't charge extra. That savings translates into extra prep time, however... but right now I have more time then money.

I'm sure there's places that provide a similiar service in NYC.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool..
thanks Rach

1 - 5 of 5 Posts