T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old saying you can't please all of the people all of the time could never ring so true as it relates to t-shirt material. We always try to do our shirts in 100%, but sometimes our warehouse discontinues colors in 100% but keeps them in stock in 50/50. So I sent out some quality screen prints on Hanes Heavyweight 50/50 t-shirts and got panned by the the customer. Even though nowhere on our site do we advertise 100% cotton. Some people actually prefer 50/50. I do because they seem to fit me better and the color lasts longer.

What would any of you prefer in a shirt? 50/50? 100%? Burlap?

The fact that our warehouse discontinues stocking of some 100% colors but keeps the 50/50s says to me that 50/50s are more popular. There is like a 2 cent difference in price so it's not like the 50/50s are substandard.

Thoughts?

Dick Tees

·
Registered
402 Posts
What weight are the 50/50s ?

If the customer was allergic to polyester then I could see that being a problem. The fact that it doesn't say on your site what type of material is used negates that anyway because you would have hoped he looked before buying. Maybe put a little snippet on your FAQ page about it.

I've got plenty of 50/50 t-shirts by Glidan (Ultra Blend) and they are very good quality.
Those are 185g/m2 so are heavy tees.

Adam

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 50/50s are Hanes Heavyweights 5.5 oz. A quality shirt. People in the US seem to be all hung up on Beefy Tees. Personally I hate beefy tees. Feels like I am wearing a rug on my back. Good old American philosphy, bigger is better. I give people too much credit... if I saw a Hanes tag in a shirt I'd automatically know it was quality. Some people are just put here to gripe about things.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I hate Hanes Beefy Tees as well they are horrid to wear.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Personally, I like when a shirt is printed on a beefy tee :) It feels softer, and I like the weight of it.

That being said, I recently got some t-shirts from an online store that only uses 50/50 tees, and I don't normally wear 50/50. I have to say, the 50/50s were pretty darn soft and comfortable (they were Hanes).

I think it might come down to managing customer expectations with this one.

If you put in each of your product descriptions that your shirts are "normally printed on 100% cotton, heavyweight Hanes t-shirts, however, if our supplier is out of stock in 100% cotton, we may substitute for the same color t-shirt in a heavyweight, premium blend 50/50 t-shirt from Hanes" then the customer is aware of the possibilities before they purchase and aren't surprised when they get either one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just currently switched from 100% cotton Gildens to American Apparel shirts and there's no going back. Seriously, the gildens feel like sandpaper after you start wearing the smooth silky AA shirts. 100% of the softest cotten shirts i've ever seen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally, I prefer 100% cotton, but the 50/50s are ok too. I wouldn't want burlap. ;)

I have to agree with Rodney. The best way to handle it is to alert the customer to the fact that they could receive either one. That way they won't be surprised when it comes 50/50.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just currently switched from 100% cotton Gildens to American Apparel shirts and there's no going back. Seriously, the gildens feel like sandpaper after you start wearing the smooth silky AA shirts. 100% of the softest cotten shirts i've ever seen.
I have always wondered why I could have 3 different 100% cotton t shirts and they would all be different softness', why is this?

I personally would always prefer 50/50 because I like the softness of the shirt (to wear, have not started printing quite yet). But you are very true that the American Apparel 100% cotton shirts are wicked soft and seem to give me a soft 100% cotton option.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was only using 100% allegedly preshrunk cotton shirts and they would shrink too much and some of the blacks would get too faded. I have recently started using blends to fix the problem and the haven't had the shrinking problem. But I have also been using the Bella Canvas 100% ringspun cotton shirts in black and they are great! Real soft and the don't fade at all with very minimal shrinkage.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Used to be that poly blends were itchy so some of us old fogeys are still biased against them. I prefer cotton but in fairness havent owned a blended shirt in over twenty years.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
poly has a bad wrap. the shirts today are pretty good. 50/50's are softer, wrinkle less, shrink less and look better after washing. they are not good for dtg printing.

all of our sports shirts are 100% poly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts