T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old saying you can't please all of the people all of the time could never ring so true as it relates to t-shirt material. We always try to do our shirts in 100%, but sometimes our warehouse discontinues colors in 100% but keeps them in stock in 50/50. So I sent out some quality screen prints on Hanes Heavyweight 50/50 t-shirts and got panned by the the customer. Even though nowhere on our site do we advertise 100% cotton. Some people actually prefer 50/50. I do because they seem to fit me better and the color lasts longer.

What would any of you prefer in a shirt? 50/50? 100%? Burlap?

The fact that our warehouse discontinues stocking of some 100% colors but keeps the 50/50s says to me that 50/50s are more popular. There is like a 2 cent difference in price so it's not like the 50/50s are substandard.

Thoughts?

Dick Tees

· Registered
347 Posts
What weight are the 50/50s ?

If the customer was allergic to polyester then I could see that being a problem. The fact that it doesn't say on your site what type of material is used negates that anyway because you would have hoped he looked before buying. Maybe put a little snippet on your FAQ page about it.

I've got plenty of 50/50 t-shirts by Glidan (Ultra Blend) and they are very good quality.
Those are 185g/m2 so are heavy tees.

Adam

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 50/50s are Hanes Heavyweights 5.5 oz. A quality shirt. People in the US seem to be all hung up on Beefy Tees. Personally I hate beefy tees. Feels like I am wearing a rug on my back. Good old American philosphy, bigger is better. I give people too much credit... if I saw a Hanes tag in a shirt I'd automatically know it was quality. Some people are just put here to gripe about things.

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
Personally, I like when a shirt is printed on a beefy tee :) It feels softer, and I like the weight of it.

That being said, I recently got some t-shirts from an online store that only uses 50/50 tees, and I don't normally wear 50/50. I have to say, the 50/50s were pretty darn soft and comfortable (they were Hanes).

I think it might come down to managing customer expectations with this one.

If you put in each of your product descriptions that your shirts are "normally printed on 100% cotton, heavyweight Hanes t-shirts, however, if our supplier is out of stock in 100% cotton, we may substitute for the same color t-shirt in a heavyweight, premium blend 50/50 t-shirt from Hanes" then the customer is aware of the possibilities before they purchase and aren't surprised when they get either one.

· Registered
29 Posts
I just currently switched from 100% cotton Gildens to American Apparel shirts and there's no going back. Seriously, the gildens feel like sandpaper after you start wearing the smooth silky AA shirts. 100% of the softest cotten shirts i've ever seen.

· Registered
17 Posts
I just currently switched from 100% cotton Gildens to American Apparel shirts and there's no going back. Seriously, the gildens feel like sandpaper after you start wearing the smooth silky AA shirts. 100% of the softest cotten shirts i've ever seen.
I have always wondered why I could have 3 different 100% cotton t shirts and they would all be different softness', why is this?

I personally would always prefer 50/50 because I like the softness of the shirt (to wear, have not started printing quite yet). But you are very true that the American Apparel 100% cotton shirts are wicked soft and seem to give me a soft 100% cotton option.

· Registered
163 Posts
I was only using 100% allegedly preshrunk cotton shirts and they would shrink too much and some of the blacks would get too faded. I have recently started using blends to fix the problem and the haven't had the shrinking problem. But I have also been using the Bella Canvas 100% ringspun cotton shirts in black and they are great! Real soft and the don't fade at all with very minimal shrinkage.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Used to be that poly blends were itchy so some of us old fogeys are still biased against them. I prefer cotton but in fairness havent owned a blended shirt in over twenty years.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
9,952 Posts
poly has a bad wrap. the shirts today are pretty good. 50/50's are softer, wrinkle less, shrink less and look better after washing. they are not good for dtg printing.

all of our sports shirts are 100% poly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.