T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the people that have been in the biz for a while what do you recommend sales the best out of the tshirt inventory 50/50 tees or 100% cotton which last the longest and which sales the most. and why you pick that material?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I'm not sure there is a "sells the most" figure. I think most sites only offer 100% cotton for some reason.

I think 100% cotton is somehow in customers minds as being higher quality (maybe because they are usually heavier weight).

Personally, I've been wearing more 50/50 t-shirts because they are actually softer for a longer period of time. I prefer a ringspun 100% cotton t-shirts (like Hanes Beefy, Jerzees Z, AmericanApparel, Alternative Apparel) or a 50/50 t-shirt when I'm pulling out a t-shirt to wear for the day.

You can just feel the difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx ROD. I really appreciate that info. I think ill go with the 100% cotton I forgot about that weight factor people are looking for the heavyweights. Especially a shirt with your logo 50/50 is more of a undershirt type of shirt. Kinda thin and light weight but it does last the longest and hold its color.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ikatcher said:
To the people that have been in the biz for a while what do you recommend sales the best out of the tshirt inventory 50/50 tees or 100% cotton which last the longest and which sales the most. and why you pick that material?
I Print 90% for businesses.... and most businesses that envolve outside labor request the 100% cotton because they say they let more air thru.... They claim that they sweat harder in a 50/50.... Those where warm weather is not a factor tend to choose the 50/50 because they claim they hold there neck shape better and the print seems to last longer.. weither there reasons are valid or not i couldnt tell ya.... just that it is very very common to hear the same reasoning from quite a few customers for their choice....

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Interesting insight, Chuck! I didn't think about the heat factor.

Some shirts with a polyester count that is too high ARE prone to make you sweat extra.

Some people also prefer lighter weight shirts based on their climate.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can't say I've been "in the business much", but I'll stick my nose in anyway! :p

Personally - I'll only be stocking 100% cotton in my "baby" things, since 100% cotton sleepwear is recommended to reduce the risk of SIDS and babies are generally just put down to sleep in what they are wearing.

I have a preference for 100% cotton for adult wear, as I know a lot of women prefer it for reason of breathability, etc. I'll probably stock mostly 100% cotton in adults stuff, with a few pieces that aren't. If I ever get into dye sub, I guess I'll have to make some tough choices!

I think it really comes down to knowing your market (like my 100% cotton for babies because of SIDS things) - there probably isn't any one answer that's best for everyone.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say again... I prefer 50/50. Lighter, softer and less wrinkles. I am a smaller guy (5'11", 165) and I like my t-shirts to fit tighter and 50/50s don't feel like they are closing my pours up when I wear my shirt a bit snug. Beefy tees feel like a potato sack to me... too heavy. A lot of people are sold on them for some reason though. Probably the same reason our wives and girlfriends think they HAVE TO HAVE a Debeers diamond... because it's shoved down our consumer throats. I am currently wearing one of my Threadless shirts... it is a 50/50... I must say I wish all my shirts felt this good.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I'd definitely go with 50/50 if I could.

Between the inks I'm currently using and the shirt supplier I'm currently using it's just a lot easier for me to use 100% cotton, but it's not what I personally prefer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I see a lot of posts about what people might prefer or what customers prefer, but how about the advantages/disadvantages to each in relation to your business?

If you're heat pressing, 100% cotton is much harder to get consistent results in. Main reason is because of moisture. Especially with plastisol, if you do not remove most of the moisture before pressing or use enough heat, the ink will tend not to totally bond to the garment leaving some edges peeled up or wrinkled.

I think I only offer 1 50/50 shirt in my line and I use the same process as I do everything else, but I'd be curious to see if the material holds the image longer or not too. I can say that it definitely feels lighter than the 100% ringspun cotton shirts I use.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
rabid said:
I see a lot of posts about what people might prefer or what customers prefer, but how about the advantages/disadvantages to each in relation to your business?
That's exactly why I use 100% cotton in spite of my personal preference to at least trial 50/50.

The inks I use bond better to 100% cotton, and the supplier I buy shirts from pretty much only supplies 100% cotton (they might do one or two obscure blends, I'm not sure). From a business perspective it's not worth the headache of using a blend - especially when you consider that most customers think they prefer 100% cotton (even if that could be proven wrong in a blind test... which I might try one day with a small test group of friends and family).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have found that the 50/50 is more wash and wearable. I'm not one for ironing so something that will be easier to care for is up my alley. I've been reading some internet articles that say the 50/50 is cheaper! Please tell me where. I've stopped even offering the 100% cotton shirts unless someone specifically request it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts