T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
No matter with JPSS. Just make sure you pre-press to flaten fibers and take out moisture.

Reactions: prnzez2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I tried the 3G paper with 100% cotton and 50/50. On the cotton the colors looked great just like they were printed but the 50/50 the white turned almost grey. Any ideas what would cause this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
How do I keep the ink from bleedi ng? I use epson 1400 and Imprintable warehouse paper. I set the printer on text and image.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I tried the 3G paper with 100% cotton and 50/50. On the cotton the colors looked great just like they were printed but the 50/50 the white turned almost grey. Any ideas what would cause this?
When you printed the 100% cotton, the fibers took the ink, the 50/50. the poly does not and the cotton does. So I think the grey you see is the result of this. Maybe check your ink types, be sure you are using inks designed for polyester and cotton mix. Also I notices another post, a few corrections on that: Polyester shrinks really bad going through tunnel dryers and other final cure dryers However when regular laundry washing 50/50 shrinks less and 100% cotton always shrinks, unless your manufacture pre-shrinks the garment or you have your garment cut for estimated shrinkage in order to shrink after wash to the correct size. Anyway good luck, I hope you understand my advise on this as my factory manufactures T-Shirts all day long, so I have to know this for my customers that are printers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Funny, so far I have printed over 75 50/50 shirts (white, black, blue, grey, & light Yellow) using JPSS, 3G, & a number of other types of paper and no results as described above.

I am very pleased with all the transfer results using 50/50 shirts, and wash results have been very good as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just finished my order of 24 shirts among the colors were neon pink, neon green, royal blue, and sports grey the only one that did the same as the black w/ the color showing thru was the royal blue. They were all gilden 50/50. Not sure what that's all about I had the settings the same for all of them, very strange. And the blue ones were in the middle of the batch so I know it wasn't me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a quick question in regards to the 100% Cotton VS 50/50 debate. I am just starting out, I haven't tried the 50/50, doing pigment ink on JPSS paper prototypes on different white shirts from different manufacturers currently. Do you need to wash the 50/50 shirts first like you do the cotton ones (even if they are preshrunk they still shrink and mess up the transfer)? The reason for the question is I am trying to drill down on the cost of production and not having to wash and dry tee's will help out my bottom line, or so I think ;-).

If you have sold both have you encountered any negative reaction to the 50/50's? Personally, if I happen across a cool t-shirt I am not looking at the tag, I am looking at the design, hence the impulse buy portion of the equation. The primary portion of my business plan is a niche oriented to gamers and doing festivals with quirky designs, not looking initially to do bulk work for companies, local sports teams etc. The price differential between 50/50 and decent 100% cotton shirts is marginal, but having to wash the cotton one's and repress the entire shirt to bring back a "new" look increases the cost of the finished product.

Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have never washed a shirt before pressing. Never had a problem with either type of shirt with JPSS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haven't seen anyone talk about the dyes in polyester blend shirts sublimating into the opaque paper. If the heat gets too high for too long the dyes change from a solid (dye in shirt) to a gas and that gas colors the opaque material. Not a problem with 100% cotton.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts