T-Shirt Forums banner
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
looking at companies like bustedtees, tshirt hell e.t.c, do their tshirts look like heat transfer or do they look like they were screen printed?
Those t-shirt companies use screen printed, but many of the designs could be done with plastisol heat transfers (but not any transfers you could print on your own computer)

So for a newbie with an heatpress machine, what equipments and accessories are needed to print good tshirts and whats the process of using the heatpress from step 1?
This shows me making my first t-shirt with a heat press step by step: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-crossover-diary-heat-press-newbie/t10363.html

You can also find videos on youtube that show the process from start to finish. Here's one:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

Let me begin by saying what an excellent and helpful forum for a beginner!

I am from Adelaide, Australia and have been looking all over for a heat press. Unfortunately it seems the only way I will be able to get a decent one is to order from America (which will bring shipping to around AU$300). So far I have been looking at the Mighty Press Clam press and have found it for a total cost (including shipping) of around AU$1,200. Do you recommend this? I have noticed that most are recommending the Geo Knight.

I'm so confused:confused:! I would really appreciate some guidance as to what would be the best press up to that price.

Thanks,

Lisa :)

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
The Mighty Press machines have been discontinued by the manufacturer, Stahls. A good alternative would be the Maxx heat press. I do not think that the shipping will be as much as $300.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What a coincidence! Your site is the place I was planning on buying from. What a shame.

About the shipping, I have previously contacted proworld and they advised that shipping to my postcode would be $300.

I haven't heard anything of the Maxx Presses and while I am sure they are good I would rather get a well known brand like the ones that have been mentioned previously. My concern with buying the Maxx Press is that you are a representative of a company that sells them and may be giving a biased opinion to make a sale (I don't mean to offend you, I just really want to make the right choice for the money).

Any information or advice would be appreciated,

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
What a coincidence! Your site is the place I was planning on buying from. What a shame.

About the shipping, I have previously contacted proworld and they advised that shipping to my postcode would be $300.

I haven't heard anything of the Maxx Presses and while I am sure they are good I would rather get a well known brand like the ones that have been mentioned previously. My concern with buying the Maxx Press is that you are a representative of a company that sells them and may be giving a biased opinion to make a sale (I don't mean to offend you, I just really want to make the right choice for the money).

Any information or advice would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Hi Lisa, just so you know, the Maxx press is from a well known brand name :) Stahls'

I think what Ed was trying to say was that the Mighty Press from Stahls has been replaced by the newer named Maxx Press from Stahls

Same great company name, just a newer line of updated presses.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funnily enough, after research, this is the heat press that I have decided to purchase. Pardon my naivety from my last post - when I wrote it I had only just started looking and each forum that I read stressed 'not to buy a no-name press', so I assumed this meant anything that wasn't the Mighty Press, Hotronix, GeoKnight or HIX. I suppose that's what this forum is for, to learn!

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Funnily enough, after research, this is the heat press that I have decided to purchase. Pardon my naivety from my last post - when I wrote it I had only just started looking and each forum that I read stressed 'not to buy a no-name press', so I assumed this meant anything that wasn't the Mighty Press, Hotronix, GeoKnight or HIX. I suppose that's what this forum is for, to learn!
No problem at all :) We're here to help.

There's a lot of information here to take in, but it sounds like you're covering all the bases!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll be buying a heat press in the next 30 days. I'm looking forward to getting started with making my own shirts, I've been using PODs so far. I've the read the advice in the forums over and over about the presses and suppliers.

I decided to use the Plastisol transfer / heat press process because I think it will give me the best results for my time and effort, short of buying and learning to use silk screening equipment.

I have decided on the MAX 15"x15" which I can get at ProWorld for $729, the best price I've found and a recommended vendor.

I'm starting with one color designs which I'll be getting from F & M Expressions.

I'm really excited about getting started with the newest chapter of my t-shirt business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbee here. I've been looking locally here in San Diego for a used Heat Press and found a Insta Automatic Model 715.
Anyone know about this unit? The price is pretty reasonable and he is selling 1000 transfers with it for only $850. Is that too cheap or what??
Thanks in advance for any reply.
James

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a 16x20 knight press for $300. OMG, that thing is GIGANTIC!!! I was freaking out so bad on my way home I could almost hear my car's trunk scraping the asphalt.
For all those that adviced me to go "big" - I wish I could drag you guys by your ears down/up to Boston so you could help me carry this thing up to the THIRD floor lol. I guess when I was seeking advice on which press to buy I should have mentioned I was only 5'1" and 105lb.
Well jokes aside - it looks ok, seems to be working fine, the pressure knob works and the upper panel heats up quick. The only thing is that when you turn it on it makes a sharp noise for the first few minutes. So I don't know if this is normal or it's something that needs to be fixed.
Oh yes and let me not forget to mention that opening and closing the press took the life out of me. I'm going to be jacked by the time I'm done pressing a couple of shirts.
Anyways, thanks to everyone that lead me through my little journey of buying my first press.
ANOUSHKA,

i wanted to ask you how you have been doing with your press after all these years? was it the right choice after all?
I'm in the same position you were in 3 years ago and wanted to know if it worked out for you and what you learned along the way....How did you deal with it all?

thanks!

101 - 120 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.