T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I just bought a 16x20 knight press for $300. OMG, that thing is GIGANTIC!!! I was freaking out so bad on my way home I could almost hear my car's trunk scraping the asphalt.
For all those that adviced me to go "big" - I wish I could drag you guys by your ears down/up to Boston so you could help me carry this thing up to the THIRD floor lol. I guess when I was seeking advice on which press to buy I should have mentioned I was only 5'1" and 105lb.
Well jokes aside - it looks ok, seems to be working fine, the pressure knob works and the upper panel heats up quick. The only thing is that when you turn it on it makes a sharp noise for the first few minutes. So I don't know if this is normal or it's something that needs to be fixed.
Oh yes and let me not forget to mention that opening and closing the press took the life out of me. I'm going to be jacked by the time I'm done pressing a couple of shirts.
Anyways, thanks to everyone that lead me through my little journey of buying my first press.
If you are having problems opening the upper platen then you are applying too much pressure and you need to reduce it with the knob.

Sonds like the noise is exactly what Twinge mentioned...check your timer settings.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I'll try that Dave. See the thing that makes it really difficult, aside from the fact that it's just a little heavy, not too bad but still, is that as I try to open it the bottom starts coming up with it, so I actually have to hold down the bottom platen with my foot in order to open the press (it's on the floor).

And one more thing - the press doesn't have a locking feature (I've seen that some of the models click and sort of lock when u close it, then unlock when the time is up), so when I close it I naturally try to press it down as much as I can to make sure it's tight. Well the press doesn't have any support/stand at the front part, so I have to be carefull because if I press it down too much, then it tilts forwards. Am I supposed to buy some type of additional stand unit for the front?
Could you post a pic of your press? I have the 15x15 Stahls press and it came on a sheet of plywood probably for shipping reasons. I never removed the plywood base as it is nice to hold down when opening the press.

Your handle should lock down on its own when you press it down. How would you create pressure if it didnt lock down. What would be the point of a pressure knob?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.