T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm relatively new to the t-shirt business. I called a silk screen printer asking for 6 color silk screen printing and was told 4 color process will provide the same effect. True? or Snow Job? He's using plastisol ink - if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey folks. I'm relatively new to the t-shirt business. I called a silk screen printer asking for 6 color silk screen printing and was told 4 color process will provide the same effect. True? or Snow Job? He's using plastisol ink - if that makes a difference.
4 Color Process / Full Color process is printed CMYK. Plastisol CMYK inks are transluscent and mixes printed pixels to create an unlimited color graphic. But it depends in your graphic is best suitable for CMYK or 6 Spot colors. Perhaps posting your graphic on here can let us help you a little better.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I called a silk screen printer asking for 6 color silk screen printing and was told 4 color process will provide the same effect. True?
Sort of. Well, he's not being dishonest at all. Four colour process will give you a full colour image, but not necessarily the same effect. Sometimes spot colour just looks better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Without seeing the image it's hard to say, but if you have areas of solid color in your image, go with the six spot colors. You'll get richer individual colors than if you try and simulate it with CMYK (4 color process).
Just what I've found in my own experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Boxcar, you can't get real vivid saturated color with process inks. If you have a real "broken up" image with a lot of detail and subdued tones it may be suitable for process color but if the image has large bold color fields or limited color range I'd opt for simulated spot colors. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts