T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I sell a fair amount of multi-X sizes, all the way to 6XL. But I'm not printing for clients, I'm selling my own art at retail to individual consumers. A casual look around does seem to indicate that this is a "growing" market.

That said, those sizes have been harder to get during the supply chain issues.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quiz question... What do you think the reason for this is?
a) Fat people are on a shopping spree?
b) People are getting fatter?

Nah!
It's just the oversized look trend...
When "oversized" is not available, people will just buy two three sizes larger... so L becomes 3XL and XL becomes 4XL.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts

Nah!
When "oversized" is not available, people will just buy two three sizes larger... so L becomes 3XL and XL becomes 4XL.
The base for my main niche leans to the large side, not for fashion, but for fitment. I knew that before I ever designed a print for them, as I had met and known this niche in person for years before I started designing for them (not that the niche has anything directly to do with weight or size). YMMV. But my experience of living in America is that people in general have gotten dramatically larger since I was a kid, and continue to increment. High fructose corn syrup is demon juice :eek::devilish:

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
It is typical for some of our customers, football teams and car/motorcycle clubs.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
But you wouldn't wear t-shirts to play American football, you'd wear a jersey. :b
Binki said "football teams", so I assumed the players... which does make sense.

Americans are just getting real fat. HFCS, like NoXid said.
People are getting really fat in Europe too, but 2XL large enough.

As I said, the feedback I have is that people are asking for 3XL and 4XL on the regular fitment shirts only.
They are after the oversized look, and this is the only reason I do these sizes.

If the style of the shirt is already "oversized", the demand for 3XL is small, and the demand for 4XL is almost non-existent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Binki said "football teams", so I assumed the players... which does make sense.

People are getting really fat in Europe too, 2XL large enough.

As I said, the feedback I have is that people are asking for 3XL and 4XL on the regular fitment shirts only.
They are after the oversized look, and this is the only reason I do these sizes.

If the style of the shirt is already "oversized", the demand for 3XL is small, and the demand for 4XL is almost non-existent.
Tend to agree but customers can be pushy.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Nah!
I would guess it's a trend. I remember a good 15 years ago or so we sold a lot of adult large and extra-large to elementary schools, it was "the look" at the time.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
As an example, we just did 550 t-shirts for an event in June. There were 7 XXXL, and one irate person, so should have made 8 XXXL shirts. Having seen the customers, I can say for certain that many of these people had gained a lot of weight during the Covid19 lock-down.

We have sold very few XXXXL t-shirts, but XXXXL sizes are selling often in Hoodies and Jackets.

Whatever the reason, people are definitely buying larger this year.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
As an example, we just did 550 t-shirts for an event in June. There were 7 XXXL, and one irate person, so should have made 8 XXXL shirts. Having seen the customers, I can say for certain that many of these people had gained a lot of weight during the Covid19 lock-down.

We have sold very few XXXXL t-shirts, but XXXXL sizes are selling often in Hoodies and Jackets.

Whatever the reason, people are definitely buying larger this year.
This ratio is just about right... BUT for some shirts 3XL and 4XL sales are a lot higher.
I'm talking 1/3 of the sales high.
People just buy them larger to get the oversized look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts