T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!
I’m having this issue where I’m getting these weird marks anywhere where the paper isn’t touching on my mugs. I’ve tried different sublimation paper, amount of tape, length of time in the press/oven, dunking the whole mug paper and wrap in water immediately after removing. I’ve also given my wraps a clean and put them in the 3D heat press for 2 hours to clean them. If anyone has any ideas for what could be causing this and how I could fix it, please share! I’ve attached a couple photos to show the markings.
Kind Regards
Yeti
Hand Gesture Finger Gadget Line

Tableware Coffee cup Drinkware Kitchen appliance Cup

·
Administrator
15,160 Posts
Yeah, it matters. 🙂

Any other sublimation mug besides the one you are using.

I should have asked before if this was your first attempt with the mugs or this problem just cropped up?

If first attempt, give us specific details on mug brand, paper brand, and time/temp settings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it matters. 🙂

Any other sublimation mug besides the one you are using.

I should have asked before if this was your first attempt with the mugs or this problem just cropped up?

If first attempt, give us specific details on mug brand, paper brand, and time/temp settings.
The issue started a couple of months ago but it wasn’t very noticeable, especially when the design goes almost all the way around the mug. But it’s been getting worse lately and getting more and more noticeable. I usually have it set to 200c and usually do batches of 5 mugs for 18 minutes. Though the mug in the photo was done at 200c and for 12 minutes. (I did a test after that one at 10 minutes, which was slightly better but still had the issue). The paper I’m currently using is S-race, though I’ve used a different brand and the issue happened then too. I need to double check the mug brand, which will need to wait until Monday.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Sorry, hard to tell what is highlight and shadow on a glossy mug and what is s defect. The second mug has a piece of tape still on it, right? Assuming so, then the defects are vertical bands of discoloration/darkening?

If so, sounds like your attempts were beating down the right path, as that could be ink on your wraps contaminating your mugs.

Do you use a layer of paper between your sublimation paper and the wrap to absorb/catch escaping ink? If not, that explains where the ink on your wraps came from. I don't actually use "blow-out" paper myself, but my sublimation paper is heavy enough that it blocks outgassing.

Note, adding a layer of paper that covers the mug, not just the image area, should also protect the mug from a contaminated wrap. Easy enough to try. Uhm, that all assumes my assumptions above are correct ... itself a perhaps large assumption :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it’s the vertical banding on the mug that’s the defect! The wraps I used were just cleaned, both in the sink and after being heat treated for 2 hours. But I will certainly give the blow-out paper a try!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts