T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm printing bright orange ink onto dark navy shirts (one color job). I make 3 passes, then cure. The dark color of the shirt shows through a lot...no problem. I make three more passes, then cure again. But still, I can see the dark shirt through the ink. I did it all again, and finally the ink is on there ok, but at this point it's real thick and a little "chunky". Also, at that point my platen is so hot that I have to wait to cool it down. Wondering what I'm doing wrong? Here's what I'm using....

triangle ink
Gildan, 100% cotton shirts
manual rotary press
1800 watt flash dryer

Thank you in advance!
-Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, I'm stupid! Just got off the phone with the manufacturer of the press.

I've heard of a flash screen before, but I thought that meant I needed to lay down a base and then print again on top....same color. I didn't realize I needed to use white ink the first time. I'll try that tonight.

sorry for the trouble, but hopefully someone learned from my mistake!
-Rich

·
Registered
382 Posts
Oh he's talking about underbasing the design with white I imagine. I really hate that method though, only because unless you choke the artwork you may see some white creeping around the edges of the final design. That is unless you have perfect registration.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi there

You could use a flash white screen to underbase your orange, use a low mesh count for the white, flash cure and then over print the white with your orange using a higher mesh count to reduce the handle of the print.
Or add around 2-4% by wieght of suede or puff additive. and print your orange flash it then print it again yopu should get just enough raise from the additive to give you a bright print with a soft feel.
I am not aware of triangle inks here in the u.k. but I know Rutland and Union inks both do suede and puff additives.
Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies.

So if I choke the image on the white screen, how do I do that? Make the font smaller in Photoshop, or shrink the % in print options? If so, how much?

Thank you very much!

-Rich

·
Registered
382 Posts
SmashmouthShirts said:
thanks for the replies.

So if I choke the image on the white screen, how do I do that? Make the font smaller in Photoshop, or shrink the % in print options? If so, how much?

Thank you very much!

-Rich
Just put an outline around the white separation to make it slightly smaller than the orange separation (make sure to not check "behind fill" if using corel draw, if you are using adobe illustrator don't worry about this option). Usually 1 or 2 point lines work good, but you may have to experiment depending on the size of the design.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Okay I just read these posts. Does this mean that you have to have 2 screens of the same design since you are using 2 different colors (white and orange). Or can you use both inks in the same screen (can't imagine that being possible).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Using one screen you'd need to wash your screen between each colour layer on each shirt (obviously not an option), or you'd have to do a print run of underbase and then re-register your shirts perfectly to print the top layer with the same screen... and that perfect re-registration is just not going to happen.

fizz's advice to use different mesh counts on each screen is interesting and seems like a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts