T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i just recieved my first vinyl cutter.. the EXPERT 24.. i tried to set it up and it wasnt working for i started to search around and i found that they are pretty hard to install the drivers and everything for them. So then i started to just do some more research with vinyl cutters. When i purchased the expert 24 i guess i had the assumption that i would be able to print an image off my computer and then cut it out on the vinyl cutter. but i guess i can not do that with the expert 24..

so i was thinking about returning it and getting this one

34" NEW VINYL CUTTER PLOTTER Flexi 8 CONTOUR 24/25/36" - eBay (item 170481931298 end time May-14-10 13:41:36 PDT)

because it has the option for contour guess(i think thats the technical term for it)

what do you guys think? or is there some way to do this on the expert

·
Registered
261 Posts
im new to cutting but i understand that contour cutting is what you need for what you want to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If your really serious, get off E-Bay and get a reputable brand through a good distributor. Stahls will give free support by phone, as well as ryonet. T&J Screenprinting supplies is a great source if you are in midwest

·
Registered
183 Posts
you can contour cut with any vinyl cutter, however you need to manually line up the blade with the registration marks that you print with the document. For a vinyl cutter that doesn't specifically support contour cutting it will be very difficult to do, and if you want to do it on a regular basis then for a basic model look at the laserpoint from uscutter which has a laser dot to manually align the cut, or for a higher end model look at the zen cut or roland gx-24 which have an optic eye to automatically align the cut. (but cost more)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thats a choice you need to think about and do a lot of research, as I said it is possible to do, some people strap laser points onto their cutters and set an offset so they effectively have a laser contour system but it won't be perfect, it might be good enought o make enough money to jusiify buying a better system down the track.

I didn't have the money to buy a heat press big enough for what i needed, I knew the one I did buy would be a pain in the a$$ to work with (and I wasn't wrong) but I just do the best I can until I start making my money back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not suggesting any one brand over another, but you really want to have access to some sort of free (for 30 days at least) product support to be there to help you troubleshoot.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I wouldnt recomment anyone to the uscutter's......they have the worst customer support on the planet......I purchased a 34 inch mh-781 from uscutter and couldnt install the software that runs the cutter...I emailed them a dozen times with no response only to find out that they went out of busiiness and didnt add the cutter I purchased to the server before they went out of business...so now I am stuck with a cutter I cant cut with......

Inked

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
ok guys i just recieved my first vinyl cutter.. the EXPERT 24.. i tried to set it up and it wasnt working for i started to search around and i found that they are pretty hard to install the drivers and everything for them. So then i started to just do some more research with vinyl cutters. When i purchased the expert 24 i guess i had the assumption that i would be able to print an image off my computer and then cut it out on the vinyl cutter. but i guess i can not do that with the expert 24..

so i was thinking about returning it and getting this one

34" NEW VINYL CUTTER PLOTTER Flexi 8 CONTOUR 24/25/36" - eBay (item 170481931298 end time May-14-10 13:41:36 PDT)

because it has the option for contour guess(i think thats the technical term for it)

what do you guys think? or is there some way to do this on the expert
I had that Seiki 34' cutter and it is currently collecting dust in the corner as the LCD panel shorted out a few months after I got it. Couldn't get anyone on the phone, The guy Frank will email you but he only suggested that I start replacing parts until I figured out the problem. That machine is terrible just look at the forum and you can see for yourself the problem people have with it. It does not have 500g of downforce as stated as it will not cut the rhinestone template material, the instructions for set up are terrible and the manual is like a 2 page pamphlet in broken English. I then bought the Laserpoint 24 as a back up to my other cutter and I only called support once. It took about 10 minutes to get them on the phone but once I did, he fixed my issue in a matter of minutes. I am sure their are better cutters on the market but as a back up to my graphtec, the LP24 does the job. And it was cheap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright im just gonna stay with the gcc even if i cant do contour. i will only do it every once in a while so maybe i will have to take the hard way and do it through flexi

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
the gcc is a good starter cutter. Trying to buy top of the line to begin is not a good idea I had a cutter with optic eye for at least 2 years before I even tried to contour cut...most of us with optic eye machines do not use it that much...if at all....JMO

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The cutter you listed that is on Ebay does not have an optic eye. You would be contour cutting through Flexi. You could really do the same thing with the Expert 24 using Flexi. It is the manual lining up process, which to me doesn't seem all that accurate.

For an inexpensive cutter, you really can't do much better than the Expert 24. Do you have the driver set up? If not, I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I wouldnt recomment anyone to the uscutter's......they have the worst customer support on the planet......I purchased a 34 inch mh-781 from uscutter and couldnt install the software that runs the cutter...I emailed them a dozen times with no response only to find out that they went out of busiiness and didnt add the cutter I purchased to the server before they went out of business...so now I am stuck with a cutter I cant cut with......

Inked
Uscutter didn't go out of business.. If you are having problems, you should check out their forum, I can almost guarantee you will get it running. Regarding the drivers, most people have to install them twice for some reason.

I have a Uscutter Laserpoint, and although the contour cutting seems to be an afterthought, some people use it. I've never gotten it to work properly, but I haven't tried that hard either. If contour cutting is going to be your main business, I would suggest something else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The cutter you listed that is on Ebay does not have an optic eye. You would be contour cutting through Flexi. You could really do the same thing with the Expert 24 using Flexi. It is the manual lining up process, which to me doesn't seem all that accurate.

For an inexpensive cutter, you really can't do much better than the Expert 24. Do you have the driver set up? If not, I'd be happy to help.

hey i called the company to help me set it up and i guess there was something else wrong with the cutter like they programed it to be a bigger cutter than it actually was so the blade when it got to once side kept trying to move over but it couldnt because it was at the side of the machine

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have heard of that happening with vinyl cutters before. It's almost like they put the wrong circuit board in it. What did they have to do, flash it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have heard of that happening with vinyl cutters before. It's almost like they put the wrong circuit board in it. What did they have to do, flash it?

no they had to send me a new motor and circut board.. but i am still unable to get this cutter working with vista 64 bit which is making me pretty pissed off.. and they put me on hold for two days cause there calling china to see what to do and i have had this thing for like 3 weeks now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts