T-Shirt Forums banner

240V BBC Little Buddy Dryer with a 110V plug.. Electrical Help!

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Rikky383 
#1 ·
I found a pretty good local deal on a very lightly used Little Buddy Dryer . The model number is LB09-3000c, which is the 240 volt version.

Good thing I didn't pay an electrician to upgrade my electrical before the dryer was delivered, because it looks to have a standard 3-prong plug installed and not the NEMA 6-20P that I was expecting. I questioned the seller about it, but he assured my that it was a 240 volt plug and that his shop has a lot of 240 volt equipment with the same plug. I was skeptical, but I'm no electrician, so I wasn't really up for the debate.

I already scheduled an electrician to come over Monday and upgrade my electrical but now I don't know.. After doing some online research, I'm 99 percent convinced that I have a 240 volt dryer with a 110 volt plug. Is this possible? Can I operate the thing as is using a standard 110v outlet? Or should I have a 240 volt plug installed?

I should also mention, in the Craigslist AD, the dryer was described as a 110 Volt dryer. It wasn't until I zoomed in on the photos and saw the model number that I saw that it was a 240V model and asked the guy about this.. He then said he put 110 V in the ad by mistake.

Let me know if you need photos or any further info from me and I'll be glad to provide them. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

LB09-3000

Element Wattage 2992
Power Required 240 VAC/12.5 A
Dryer Plug Type NEMA 6-20P

See less See more
#2 ·
The Little Buddy LB09-2000 requires a 120 Volt, 20 Amp circuit. The Little Buddy LB09-3000 & LB09-3000-CE requires a 240 Volt, 20 Amp circuit.
Copied this out of the manual, I think the 240/20 should be 240/30 other than that if you do in fact have the 3000 it should be 240 unless someone modified it.. talk to Mark at BBC 8oo-654-42o5

#3 ·
Do you have a Nema 14-50 in your house? That is a combination of two 120 - 20AMP lines.

You can split it with an RV / Generator splitter to get two 120V 20amp lines

Conntek Y1450520S NEMA 14-50 50-Amp 125/250-volt RV/Generator Y-Adapter Plug to U.S. 15/20-Amp Female Connectors

#4 ·
I'll give Mark a call at BBC. Thank you for the suggestion.

And I spoke with my electrician today. We rescheduled for later this week. His idea is to go ahead with swapping the receptacle currently installed in my garage (6-30) with a 6-20 and then replacing the 3-prong plug with a 6-20 cap on the dryer cord. Unless I hear differently from Mark at BBC, or one of you guys, I'll probably go ahead with this plan.

Thanks for your help guys.

#8 ·
Wow! Great catch! That's exactly what they did. They twisted that one prong 90 degrees so that it would be parallel to the other one, and therefore fit into a standard outlet. I'm not sure how I missed that.

Maybe I could just twist it back?

On a side note, I bought the dryer from a sock company called Stance, which is based out here in San Diego. They sell those socks with the wild prints. In fact, I bought a pair of their snowboarding socks at my local Ross a while back and they're really nice. I felt comfortable buying the dryer from them without even testing it out first, considering it's a reputable company. Now I'm having second thoughts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.