T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 42" cutter to replace my 24" off-brand piece of you-know-what. My purpose was to buy the 30" but the rep talked me into the 42" because it was the same price due to some sale that was going on. I thought this might be a good move to make seeing that we eventually are going to get a large format printer. After some research it seems that most of the cutters used with large format printers are over 48". We are getting rid of the 24" and so my question is was this a bad move having a mid-size cutter we all we really do is t-shirt stuff and small signage? :(

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you were going to buy the 30", aside from space concerns, I don't see much of an issue with taking the 42" at the same price. I can't see it not having adjustable width settings via pinchrollers or something so you don't lose any functionality and can still cut 19" wide heat transfer rolls or such.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you were going to buy the 30", aside from space concerns, I don't see much of an issue with taking the 42" at the same price. I can't see it not having adjustable width settings via pinchrollers or something so you don't lose any functionality and can still cut 19" wide heat transfer rolls or such.
Yes it does have pinch rollers that slide in an unused position. And no there's not much of a space concern. We bought a Q100 from Sign Warehouse in Texas and from my research I believe it is their brand but it is made by Graphtec. Do you think 3000.00 is a good deal for the cutter, LXi master software and a bulk load of banner and vinyl material and not to mention they threw in a grommet machine with all the grommets?:)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
OMG Signwarrehouse is the worst company to deal with. I have experienced poor customer service. I wish you the best with your cutter. I bought my first cutter from them and got no help or support from them ..... JB

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
OMG, signwharehouse has gotten better & it is a good machine at a good price. Best of luck with it.
I wish you good luck too and you will need it buying from Signwarehouse. Read the post here about them and say they are gettig better. I bought a great machine from them too, but the service was horrible and many others have said the same thing on more than one occasion. ..... JB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KP,

If someone were to say, 'you got an awful deal on the VE-Q100,' are you going to return it?

AB
If someone could convince me it was the wrong move, yes I do have a 90 day money back guarantee. But reading between the lines of this forum, I'm probably just being a little picky or anal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OMG Signwarrehouse is the worst company to deal with. I have experienced poor customer service. I wish you the best with your cutter. I bought my first cutter from them and got no help or support from them ..... JB
We have bought supplies from signwarehouse for the past 2 years and have never had a problem. Our rep Kendra Biel bends over backwards to help us all the time. Since we've got the cutter we been on the phone with tech support a few times and they were always very helpful. We have found that it is faster for tech support to respond via e-mail than phone.:D

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
You mentioned that all you produce is tee vinyl and small signage...if thats it I think 48" is overkill.
You also mentioned that you are going to purchase a large format printer in the future. You might wait until you get the cash for a print and cut system as $3000 is a good start or a nice down payment.

I guess bulk roll banner material is ok but a software upgrade would serve you better.

You are going to have to move out of small signage thinking to really utilize 48" of cutting ability.
Vinyl wraps are kinda out of the question as are digitally printed banners as it doesnt print and cut.

I guess the question is what are you actually going to do with a 48" cutter that you cant do with the cutter you have?

·
Registered
938 Posts
You mentioned that all you produce is tee vinyl and small signage...if thats it I think 48" is overkill.
You also mentioned that you are going to purchase a large format printer in the future. You might wait until you get the cash for a print and cut system as $3000 is a good start or a nice down payment.

I guess bulk roll banner material is ok but a software upgrade would serve you better.

You are going to have to move out of small signage thinking to really utilize 48" of cutting ability.
Vinyl wraps are kinda out of the question as are digitally printed banners as it doesnt print and cut.

I guess the question is what are you actually going to do with a 48" cutter that you cant do with the cutter you have?
I completely agree.

If you want to make your 42" machine work for you, then you will want to enter markets requiring larger signs than what you already produce.

This size cutter has no benefit for you when it comes to making tshirt designs.

AB

·
Registered
185 Posts
I read tons of Sighwarehouse.com bashing and I have never had one problem with them. I'll order from the devil if the price is right.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I completely agree.

If you want to make your 42" machine work for you, then you will want to enter markets requiring larger signs than what you already produce.

This size cutter has no benefit for you when it comes to making tshirt designs.

AB
I agree with the others abot buying machine than you need and you will have to grow into it. I like to have a machine that allows me to expand a little before I max out it's potential. I think if your happy with the machine and your support then be happy and make it work for you. I would also like to say that Signwarehouse was a horrible experience for me, but as i read others have been better served. I'm not ready to give them another try, but I'm ready to atleast listen and wait to see if there support helps customers. I liked all their prices, but got turned of by other problems. I wish you good luck with your ne machine. ... JB

·
Registered
938 Posts
If someone could convince me it was the wrong move, yes I do have a 90 day money back guarantee. But reading between the lines of this forum, I'm probably just being a little picky or anal.
Honestly, you would have been better served by the TSF community asking prior to your purchase than after your purchase.

If you've ever seen a 42" cutter, it is very long and the packaging itself (at least with my Summa cutter and stand) may be heavy and a bit to go through to re-pack. Return shipping might be out of pocket with Sign Warehouse (you will have to inquire) and with that size cutter, I would guess shipping to be at least $100. I would hate to have to re-pack my cutter to ship back. I did a good amount of research and asked a lot of questions of Summa cutter owners & Summa directly prior to my purchase so that I was firm in my decision.

You do not want to get this size cutter shipped only to have to ship it back because you think you made a wrong move with the purchase.

AB

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I really dont think its so much sign warehouse but the idea of going 42" with no business geared in that direction. I have no problem with a larger cutter if you are moving that direction. Without print and cut in the market today its a step I would not venture down. You have a good sum of cash to put forward and the larger cutter in my opinion is a waste of effort. What are you gonna do with a roll of banner material and a grommet machine...make banners that you could do on a 24". I say return the pkg. and save up for a print and cut or at least lease one.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I really dont think its so much sign warehouse but the idea of going 42" with no business geared in that direction. I have no problem with a larger cutter if you are moving that direction. Without print and cut in the market today its a step I would not venture down. You have a good sum of cash to put forward and the larger cutter in my opinion is a waste of effort. What are you gonna do with a roll of banner material and a grommet machine...make banners that you could do on a 24". I say return the pkg. and save up for a print and cut or at least lease one.
David I agree with you. I think having a little more machine than you need is good( I bought a 24 inch cutter to do names with) gives you some grow room. If you don't have the goal to expand then you will be stagnate. .... JB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts