T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm currently using the craft robo, a great wee cutter but it's time to move up in size... Looking at a fe in the uk eBay at £220 and around. Anyone any recommendations? Suppliers and costs, pros and cons...

Thanks in advance
Craig

· Registered
32 Posts
Without a doubt get a silhouette cameo. You can use all your small off cuts so minimum waste and it also does print and cut.

does this require the use of a cutting mat? im looking at buy a new one. We got a cheap chinese pcut 630 or something similar. its terrible. doesn't complete circles no matter what offset and overcut is used. some circles look like ovals. some are perfect. the drivers and software it came with sucks beyond believe and doesn't actually let you use offset and overcut. the plotter ignores whatever values are in it. It will occasionally just cut a great big line through everything. Thats always a fun one. or even better when it just stops mid job and says waiting. I think my favourite feature though is that is just scrunches all the vinyl up and slices it to pieces unless I use a cricut cutting mat to keep the vinyl firmly in place.

also the OP asked for a budget one :p not sure a £1300 roland gx24 counts ;-)

· Registered
21 Posts
You can use the silhouette cameo with or without cutting mat,
If you need to cut a very small peice of vinyl use the mat, I tend to always use it anyway.
Only disadvantages with the roland is that you cant use offcuts like you can with the cameo. The cameo
cuts perfectly and I use hotflex vinyl and it is simply perfect, the blade
Lasts for an extremely long time, for hotflex I have it set on blade cut number 1 speed 8 and thickness 12. Does what it says and does it well. Get one I guarantee you wont be disappointed.
For the money it has to be the best machine out there. Nothing I have heard of comes close.

· Registered
32 Posts
If you need to cut a very small peice of vinyl use the mat, I tend to always use it anyway.
Only disadvantages with the roland is that you cant use offcuts like you can with the cameo. The cameo
Lasts for an extremely long time, for hotflex I have it set on blade cut number 1 speed 8 and thickness 12. Does what it says and does it well. Get one I guarantee you wont be disappointed.
For the money it has to be the best machine out there. Nothing I have heard of comes close.
Is there a 24" version of the cameo? Everything is coming up as 12"...

· Registered
21 Posts
The silhouette cameo cuts max 12 inches wide but to any length. So for items say 8 x 24 inches just cut it in portrait. Very rare you would ever cut over 12 inches wide if doing heat transfer that is. So yes the maximum width of cut is 12 inches, length is whatever you manually set it to. I Sorry roland gx 24 is not really a buget machine but apart from the silhouette cameo I would not get anything else, for a buget the cameo is a great tool and I have a brand new one on stand by incase I ever need it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Please dont forget, a huge part of getting A1 results is by using good quality products.
Your not going to get good results on a £2/300 ebay heat press.
The platen (heating element) needs to be equal heat all over,
This guarantee's a job that will not peel and will last.
Check out youtube and see the difference between good and bad presses.

· Registered
255 Posts
I've already decided to save for a gx24. Thanks for all the comments. And yeah, when did heat presses come into it.
Have a look at the GCC range, less expensive than a Roland or Graphtec but a good piece of kit, I have a GCC Ultra, no longer made but mine is still going strong, quiet, accurate and reliable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.