T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right subforum for this.

I have a heat press, and a vinyl cutter, and have made a handful of shirts in practicing. Someone wants 200 shirts with a simple #hashtag on the front.

Could anyone give me some advice on how to start thinking about calculating the selling cost, taking the labor and amount of vinyl film used (etc.) in to account?

I don't know, maybe you folks know of some good websites for beginners in this business, or just wouldn't mind writing down some tips to get me on the right track with the numbers.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might've been a bit too naive when I got my vinyl equipment, envisioning working my butt off on orders that size (whether with signs or, in this case, shirts)... Luckily, if we make a deal, I'll have just about the whole summer to get it finished. It would really hurt if I'd have to hire someone else to do my first job hehe.

Is there anyone out there who fulfills "large" orders like this using vinyl at home or in a small shop?

As for calculating material pricing, is it a common thing to maybe run a few cuts through and simply estimate how much of the vinyl roll your job is going to consume, or do I need to crunch some real numbers and figure it out down to the penny--say, if nothing else, for tax purposes or something?

(I could also use advice on what ballpark I should be in as far as labor charges go, although I realize that probably varies depending on the task and/or artist/proprietor)

Thanks for the fast reply, and also, thanks in advance to anybody else who can help me get to level 1 as a small business newbie :)

· Registered
2,441 Posts
I Sublimation printed 400 t-shirts for a fun run last week. Just over 10 hrs pressing with a single press, at 1 min per print.
200 vinyl shirts on the press is only 3 hrs work at 15 secs/print so it realy isn't a daunting order.

Weeding will be the key factor. Just how complex is the design? A simple design should only take a couple of hours to weed. If you can get 6 designs out of a yard of vinyl it is only costing you $1 a print.

Add a dollar profit per print, and a dollar per garment and you have earned $400 for less than a days work.

My question to the customer would be 'how soon do you want them?' not 'how long have I got?'.

Get the job done and get the money in the bank.

· Registered
177 Posts
No, I couldn't weed and press a shirt every 2.4 minutes for 8 hours.

There's also more involved than just the weeding and pressing.

· Registered
202 Posts
This is probably no more then 10 metres of vinyl to weed, very easy order and cheap to make yourself.

Cut the Vinyl 1 metre at a time, you can be weeding while the next one cuts.

Use Vinyl with a tacky backing so you can line up the logos on the shirts before you press, no need to struggle under the press if you are a beginner.

If you have 2 presses your laughing, but still no problem with just 1.

Dont weed print weed print, get all the weeding done then all the printing, should take 5 hours in total.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.