T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks for all the previous help....i was wondering what was the best transfer method for photos on shirts?? is the transjet 11 paper good? or is plastisol better from like silver mtn?? i was also wondering about the opaque paper from personalizedsupplies.com, is this a quality printing method on black shirts ? what about for photos?? thanks again

·
Registered
81 Posts
I brieftly experiment a little with opque paper and I got a very rubbery and thick feel and the quality of the shirt wasnt that great in general. I personally wouldt wear the shirt. Transject II can not print on black shirts, you need to order the necessary paper for it.

I have not tried plastiol myself, but from what I read on this forum. They are superior than the regular heat printing but are a little more expensive. And they require a little bit of technique and pratice.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello, I do mostly pictures and designs on black t-shirts and use opaque transfers and an epson R200 inkjet printer. I make a couple of hundred shirts a month with great feedback from my customers. I have had only 2 complaints out of 185 sales this month selling on ebay. You should try this company tshirtpaper.com their opaque transfers are very good and they have very affordable prices.

Muncheys

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm not sure if the plastisol transfers are good for photo realistic prints, but I could be wrong about that. I think you would get better image quality with the inkjet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey munchey, I tried that paper and my stuff came out horrible...do you have any tips? I tried a red image on a black shirt and it came out off red and felt like rubber with the glossy stuff. Another colorful square I did with the parchment came out feeling better but still bad, and it felt like it would come off when washed. Also, those papers are nearly impossible to peel! I don't understand how they are working for you, and I am desperately looking for something to press black shirts. Any tips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone, longtime-lurker here. My setup is a big green GeoKnight heatpress w/ Epson R200 w/ bulk ink system.

I too am having trouble doing darker shirts. I've only tried making transfers a couple of times for black shirts. The opaque paper I bought from an online source adhered okay, but the downsides are considerable: (a) too thick on the front of the shirt, and (b) I had to cut right up to the image w/ scissors, which means I can't use this paper for intricate designs. I was thinking of trying the Silver Mountain transfers, but it seems they are awfully expensive if one has more than a few colors in the design.

So, what does everyone else do, if you don't mind me asking? I want to branch out into yellow, dark brown, black, green etc. shirts - I'm sick of white & light gray - but how the heck do I get satisfying images on darker colors, like I see all the time on the web & so forth? I'd appreciate any help.:confused:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know Avery has transfers for dark shirts. I have not used. Their papers are awfully expensive. Do not know how the transfers hold up in wash tests with pigment ink or the hand (feel of transfer on shirt).

Also, I just ordered a sample pack from newmilfordphoto.com. Never used their papers either. They have transfer paper for dark shirts.

Plastisol...you are charged by the color. This is silkscreening...they have to burn film and make screens. Many colors might cost a lot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We've tried many others and most of the other papers get very wet from the ink when they come out of the printer and you need to keep them from touching each other for minutes. When the paper comes out you can literally pile them on top of each other right away because the ink soaks into the paper rather than setting on top. The blue grid packing peels off very easily for us as well. Did your paper have a blue grid on the back? Because I know a couple months ago they tried the type with the single blue line and went back to the blue grid because of complaints. I've use their parchment and glossy overlays and both work well for us. Are you using a heat press or hand iron? That could make a HUGE difference. I've never had much success with a hand iron with any paper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm using a heat press with the grided paper. I tried a few more, and I think I might be able to use the stuff for square designs. That is, if it holds up after I wash it several times (which I don't really think it will). It feels horrible though, maybe it will improve after it's washed. The glossy paper makes it feel ridiculous, it feels like a pool toy. The parchment feels a little bit better. I guess I am just used to the good stuff, the tranferjet II from TLM is awesome.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I believe that paper actually leave a polyester feel on the garment. Sorta like a printed fabric applied to the shirt. We carry something very similar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, I've never cut opaque transfers in any shape other than a rectangle. I don't have the time for that. If you're cutting out intricate shapes, I could see how it would be difficult because it's not a papery feeling paper. It has a bit of stick to it. I've tried others though, and it really does work the best for us. It soaks up the ink also, the last type I tried got all wet when it came out of the printer. I hate that! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts