T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble printing a 2 color job on white shirts...should be a no brainer.....but as usual there are problems.

in the picture you will see my problem...the blue is smuging .....here is the senerio.

[media]http://www.t-shirtforums.com/members/inkedapparel-albums-forum-pictures-picture4396-dscn0052.jpg[/media]

colors

- chrome yellow
- royal blue

white 100% cotton shirt, 230 mesh for both screens

off contact - 1/8th inch or a penny thick

new squeegee 70/90/70 durometer metal handle

printing yellow first then blue

I tried printing wet on wet and I tried to flash in between the colors...neither helped. I think what is happening is when I print the blue it isnt dense enough so I need to flood and hit it again..this is where I thought It was happening, but when I dont flood , just print it does it still.

tried both a pull stroke and a push stroke....the push seemed to help.

anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You
Inked

· Registered
186 Posts
Yeah 156 - 160 would be better. Look like enough blue is not getting through. Watch your squeegee angle and pressure too. You could thinning the ink a little to push it through the 230 mesh easier. I would rather do that than make another screen. But its your call.

· Registered
947 Posts
Depends on the ink.

To me it looks fine where the blue is not next to the yellow.

So..

Are your screens tight with good tension and are they the same tension or real close?

Are you using a thick ink like Maxopake?

Are you trapping the Yellow under the Blue?

First, if you are trapping, stop that right now. Trapping is a bandaid for not being able to register or hold registration and in my opinion should never be used, ever.

If your screens are not tight or close to the same tension then it will be hard to hold a butt register or even a .5 choke.

If you are using a thick ink it can squish causing enough gain to smear over the yellow. You may want to thin it down.

The thicker the ink deposit you put down the worse the problem will get.

Only do one print stroke.

I would butt register or even choke the blue back a 1/2 point which will allow for gain and minimize the spread over the yellow.

And for me I would print that all day long with 230's wet on wet using the correct ink.

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solution !!!!!!

FLASH BETWEEN COLORS AND REDUCE THE INK!!!!!!!!

I first reduced the ink ....got better but came back after about 6 - 8 prints......tried the flash between colors......blur gone....slowed me down a bit but the job looks great!

thanks for the advice guys

Inked

· Registered
16 Posts
I am having trouble printing a 2 color job on white shirts...should be a no brainer.....but as usual there are problems.

in the picture you will see my problem...the blue is smuging .....here is the senerio.

[media]http://www.t-shirtforums.com/members/inkedapparel-albums-forum-pictures-picture4396-dscn0052.jpg[/media]

colors

- chrome yellow
- royal blue

white 100% cotton shirt, 230 mesh for both screens

off contact - 1/8th inch or a penny thick

new squeegee 70/90/70 durometer metal handle

printing yellow first then blue

I tried printing wet on wet and I tried to flash in between the colors...neither helped. I think what is happening is when I print the blue it isnt dense enough so I need to flood and hit it again..this is where I thought It was happening, but when I dont flood , just print it does it still.

tried both a pull stroke and a push stroke....the push seemed to help.

anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You
Inked
whats up dude im in st pete...i use to run into this problem all the time when printing with a 2 color that had a bright yellow like that...its the bleed out...try diff things...my first suggestion is to try printing the second layer when it is right out from under the flash and still really hot...if that doesnt work try cooling the image off by fanning before printing the second color...this prob wont help but sometimes does and is a quick test print to see if it does...but ur bust bet on white shirts...listen to me...that image isnt detailed so ur best bet is to put them both on 110s...then when ur printing use an angle less than 45 degrees not straight up n down or 80 degrees but less than 45 degrees...then press very gently with the squegee even if it takes a few swipes...check the print between each swipe on the first print...this should just kinda glob the ink thru the screen and get a lot less bleed out since the yellow is runny ink right? if the edges are crisp but the overlap in the 2 colors is still visible consider putting a second layer of the same color that sits on top...again glog the ink gently thru the screen on both layers. this method makes the print look better but the ink lays down differently with this method...but cured properly it is actually better on white ts because less fibers come thru the thicker ink the more the shirt is washed. ive heard of u guys before. inked apparel. i work at white house in st pete. check us out n ill do the same. good luck. later dude

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.