T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,499 Posts
The cost of doing business in California is so expensive comparable to other states in the US that a 2 color front on darks for $0.60 leave very little meat on the bone.
Definitely more difficult to start but this difficulty can also be a good thing... A barrier to entry for competitors.
If you do something everyone can do, you will never make real money.
If you are smart and you are able to cooperate with others (not many people can do), then cost of doing business in California is not an issue.
Location is important in trade and California is probably the best place to be (if you can).

· Registered
4 Posts
Definitely more difficult to start but this difficulty can also be a good thing... A barrier to entry for competitors.
If you do something everyone can do, you will never make real money.
If you are smart and you are able to cooperate with others (not many people can do), then cost of doing business in California is not an issue.
Location is important in trade and California is probably the best place to be (if you can).
Our shop offers all types of print methods from discharge, multiple specialty print methods, 14 color printing & full dye sub & sewing & it is still tough to compete with $0.60 for that & make a good profit. Our main cost for us is payroll, especially with operators coming in commanding $25.00 to start & finding quality workers that are worthy of that rate. More power to you all that are crushing it here in Ca with those print prices.

· Registered
4,499 Posts
Our main cost for us is payroll, especially with operators coming in commanding $25.00 to start & finding quality workers that are worthy of that rate.
Payroll is the most expensive part in most businesses.

Our shop offers all types of print methods from discharge, multiple specialty print methods, 14 color printing & full dye sub & sewing & it is still tough to compete with $0.60 for that & make a good profit.
The same thing applies to most businesses, but with the right business model, offering ridiculously low prices to the right type of customer can actually increase profitability.

· Registered
1 Posts
Got a customer who sometimes buys their own shirts. I do alot of stuff for them, but they have other vendors. This job is for 620 pieces / 2 color front. White and black ink on Texas Orange and Royal shirts/sweats My original estimate was for 1.46 which sounded cheap, so I bumped it up to 2.25 knowing I could come down. And she hit me with the other guy usally does it for .60 cents.....is that even possible? 60 cents? Could anyone make anything off that? Even at 2.25 they would have 4.95 in the adult tees, and 11.05 for the sweats... I told her I could come down down, thinking I would come down to my original estimate of 1.46 but when she hit me with .60 cents per piece, I was like damn...maybe I need to let this guy do my screenprinting... How are people pricing that low?
Don’t put yourself out of business for low balling customers. Obviously they’re not happy with something on the .60 prints or they wouldn’t be asking around. Most likely quality is their issue. Customers will lie too. Can’t blame them, just looking out for their own interest. Depending on size of print, I would be around 2.23 for a 2 color front for 620 pieces just as comparison. I will give returning customers discounts as well. Not a lot but enough to say thank you, not end up in the negative.

· Registered
79 Posts
I was doing this on the side for a bit, but just went full time and opened my shop in April.
Those are nice prints. You should do that not this. If I am sending ot .60/print, I am most likely geared for thousands of piece orders and need to fill my book. If your guy is not getting 20,000/year
the he is not reliable enough to keep your auto busy. If 620 is his big book for the year, then he will wait weeks for his press time. BTW I am at $1.50 no setup on that job. Will take me 3 hours/ 3 screens/ 1 pass to complete. Since covid, I am a one man shop and am hard pressed to hire
some soft body off their couch!

· Registered
9,952 Posts
One question I always ask my customers. If you can get it at that price why are you here? I don't ever try to beat silly prices. I charge what I charge and I have never looked back. I do quality work and charge accordingly, and I have continued to grow by word of mouth. Know what it cost you and what you need to make to be profitable. I moved out of my house 8 years ago and am doing great!
We do the same. We never compete on price.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts