T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,575 Posts
And she hit me with the other guy usally does it for .60 cents.....is that even possible? 60 cents? Could anyone make anything off that?
This job is for 620 pieces
Yeap!
This is more or less what I pay for 300 to 600 prints, but does not include anything other than printing.
I supply ready to print artwork, and my own shirts.

· Registered
4,575 Posts
Also where do you go? Two color print for .60 cents....I couldn't hire help that cheap. I mean I may just quit printing, do the art, buy the shirts and let them do it.

I mean .60×620 = 320$
By the time you count the shirts, print the film, burn the screens, set the press up, glue the boards, then actually print the shirts, the stack, recount, and box them up....how much could you make?

Even if you were printing 250 or so an hour....I mean after you subtract materials, electricity, and if you had help, well damn...plus the time you had in reclaiming, emulsioning, and clean up...I just don't see how a business could operate.

And sure if you had help you could get it done quicker, but then you gotta pay your help...good help isn't cheap...idk
$0.60×620 = $372... but I guess $320 is the profit ;).

For 300-600 prints, I pay 50 cents for the first color and 25 cents for each additional color (no screen charges).
Advertised price is $2.50, but I'm guessing pretty much all customers get a "discount", and regulars like me get the 50 cents deal.

· Registered
4,575 Posts
I was like damn...maybe I need to let this guy do my screenprinting...
Many people do exactly this, but good luck finding a printer offering these prices with out a waiting list.
Higher paying one off jobs, are done in 1-3 days.
The 60c/print jobs will often have 2-3 weeks waiting time.

You in the business to make living not give it away. If they don't agree with you price let them go to other guy. She will be back
$300 per hour from a single automatic press is hardly giving it away.
High print speeds make low prices viable.
Plastisol transfers are a good example... Much faster to print... 15c a pop.

· Registered
4,575 Posts
The cost of doing business in California is so expensive comparable to other states in the US that a 2 color front on darks for $0.60 leave very little meat on the bone.
Definitely more difficult to start but this difficulty can also be a good thing... A barrier to entry for competitors.
If you do something everyone can do, you will never make real money.
If you are smart and you are able to cooperate with others (not many people can do), then cost of doing business in California is not an issue.
Location is important in trade and California is probably the best place to be (if you can).

· Registered
4,575 Posts
Our main cost for us is payroll, especially with operators coming in commanding $25.00 to start & finding quality workers that are worthy of that rate.
Payroll is the most expensive part in most businesses.

Our shop offers all types of print methods from discharge, multiple specialty print methods, 14 color printing & full dye sub & sewing & it is still tough to compete with $0.60 for that & make a good profit.
The same thing applies to most businesses, but with the right business model, offering ridiculously low prices to the right type of customer can actually increase profitability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts