T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a customer who sometimes buys their own shirts. I do alot of stuff for them, but they have other vendors.

This job is for 620 pieces / 2 color front. White and black ink on Texas Orange and Royal shirts/sweats

My original estimate was for 1.46 which sounded cheap, so I bumped it up to 2.25 knowing I could come down.

And she hit me with the other guy usally does it for .60 cents.....is that even possible? 60 cents? Could anyone make anything off that?

Even at 2.25 they would have 4.95 in the adult tees, and 11.05 for the sweats...

I told her I could come down down, thinking I would come down to my original estimate of 1.46 but when she hit me with .60 cents per piece, I was like damn...maybe I need to let this guy do my screenprinting...

How are people pricing that low?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
And she hit me with the other guy usally does it for .60 cents.....is that even possible? 60 cents? Could anyone make anything off that?
This job is for 620 pieces
Yeap!
This is more or less what I pay for 300 to 600 prints, but does not include anything other than printing.
I supply ready to print artwork, and my own shirts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For 2 color on a dark garment? One color on a light shirt maybe...but 2 color? And it is my art. It's art I did for them about a year ago, they want to take to the other guy. They are a pretty important customer so I'm not going to hassle them if they do, but still

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also where do you go? Two color print for .60 cents....I couldn't hire help that cheap. I mean I may just quit printing, do the art, buy the shirts and let them do it.

I mean .60×620 = 320$
By the time you count the shirts, print the film, burn the screens, set the press up, glue the boards, then actually print the shirts, the stack, recount, and box them up....how much could you make?

Even if you were printing 250 or so an hour....I mean after you subtract materials, electricity, and if you had help, well damn...plus the time you had in reclaiming, emulsioning, and clean up...I just don't see how a business could operate.

And sure if you had help you could get it done quicker, but then you gotta pay your help...good help isn't cheap...idk

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Also where do you go? Two color print for .60 cents....I couldn't hire help that cheap. I mean I may just quit printing, do the art, buy the shirts and let them do it.

I mean .60×620 = 320$
By the time you count the shirts, print the film, burn the screens, set the press up, glue the boards, then actually print the shirts, the stack, recount, and box them up....how much could you make?

Even if you were printing 250 or so an hour....I mean after you subtract materials, electricity, and if you had help, well damn...plus the time you had in reclaiming, emulsioning, and clean up...I just don't see how a business could operate.

And sure if you had help you could get it done quicker, but then you gotta pay your help...good help isn't cheap...idk
$0.60×620 = $372... but I guess $320 is the profit ;).

For 300-600 prints, I pay 50 cents for the first color and 25 cents for each additional color (no screen charges).
Advertised price is $2.50, but I'm guessing pretty much all customers get a "discount", and regulars like me get the 50 cents deal.

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
Let it go but ask them to bring the shirts by after they wash them a few times to see what they look like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahah, I guess my math was a bit off....damn...idk, but yeah I was thinking about letting it go. I know I'm not loosing them as a customer, but damn, just seemed crazy cheap to me.

.75 cents seems crazy cheap...idk, 🤪

I don't think I'll ever be able to compete with that sort of pricing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got a customer who sometimes buys their own shirts. I do alot of stuff for them, but they have other vendors.

This job is for 620 pieces / 2 color front. White and black ink on Texas Orange and Royal shirts/sweats

My original estimate was for 1.46 which sounded cheap, so I bumped it up to 2.25 knowing I could come down.

Even at 2.25 they would have 4.95 in the adult tees, and 11.05 for the sweats...

I told her I could come down down, thinking I would come down to my original estimate of 1.46 but when she hit me with .60 cents per piece, I was like damn...maybe I need to let this guy do my screenprinting...

You in the business to make living not give it away. If they don't agree with you price let them go to other guy. She will be back

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I was like damn...maybe I need to let this guy do my screenprinting...
Many people do exactly this, but good luck finding a printer offering these prices with out a waiting list.
Higher paying one off jobs, are done in 1-3 days.
The 60c/print jobs will often have 2-3 weeks waiting time.

You in the business to make living not give it away. If they don't agree with you price let them go to other guy. She will be back
$300 per hour from a single automatic press is hardly giving it away.
High print speeds make low prices viable.
Plastisol transfers are a good example... Much faster to print... 15c a pop.

·
Registered
4 Posts

on what platform do you display your work

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on what platform do you display your work
I was doing this on the side for a bit, but just went full time and opened my shop in April.

So I'm still new, and struggling. I don't have an auto, just one 6 color manual. And it's a real struggle when it's hard to compete against auto pricing....idk I'm just one guy, with some old, basement equipment I bought off Craigslist

The shop I used to work at we did all heads down printing, and could run auto speeds. Even then though, your still having to pay several people, because it's all hands on deck.

Here is some of my work, but right now, I don't have a web site, or even FB page. So far it's all been word of mouth
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Motorcycle
White Sleeve Font T-shirt Sportswear
Guitar accessory Sleeve Font Poster T-shirt
Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Sleeve
Font Poster Graphics Book cover Art
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keeping up with automatic pricing can be tough for a manual shop especially with the cost of over head these days (utilities, rent, consumables labor). While we recently increased our pricing in preparation for next year I think we are at .90 cents plus set up $35.00 per screen and film.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whoever is doing printing that cheap in this inflation is insane. If you just take the amount of labor and material cost they are not making anything at all. I wish someone would pass on who is doing their printing. I would never turn my equipment on again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts