T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i bought a 500 watt halogen work light to expose screens. the set-up:

light on ground, screen on glass plate that sits in a table-like structure, 36 inch legs. so, screen is about 28 inches away from the light source.

sides of table are open to prevent over-heating.

i place screen, something heavy on screen, then heavy black cloth over the top of that. right now my exposure time is just around 1 hour, 12 minutes. terribly long.

what's up? can anyone help? i see other posts saying that their exposure time is 12-16 minutes with a 500 wt halogen. the light does have a glass cover, but i made sure it is NOT uv protected.

thanks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
what's up? can anyone help? i see other posts saying that their exposure time is 12-16 minutes with a 500 wt halogen. the light does have a glass cover, but i made sure it is NOT uv protected.

thanks.
How do you know the glass is not an UV filter?
Most of those work lights have a glass cover that filters UV.
The distance in my setup is 16" and the time 14 ~ 16 min.
I would recommend you to remove the glass cover.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i shouldn't say i'm positive, but all of the other lights i considered had a 'uv protected' symbol or writing on the glass. this one didn't... so i assumed.

i did remove the glass to see if that would cut down on exposure time, but it started smoking...
hmmm.

i'll give it another shot and just be sure to sit next to it the whole time.

do you use a 500 watt halogen, too?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yeah, I do use a 500 Watts work light too. It came with my package from silkscreeningsupplies.

Work light are mean to provide light, not UV, so I am pretty sure that even when it doesn't say uv protected, it should filter uv.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
i did remove the glass to see if that would cut down on exposure time, but it started smoking...
hmmm.
Maybe it should try some Nicorette gum . . . ;-)

Sorry.

In addition to removing the glass, the distance from your light source to your screen should be roughly the diagonal measurement of the screen. Unless you're using big screens, I'd try moving the light to about 21" from the screen. This would help shorten the exposure time. As mentioned above, when I used a halogen light, my times were in the 18 minute range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.