T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done 13,072 total prints (as of yesterday) on my Sprint in about 9.5 months of owning it. Still on all original parts and still having my daughter pretreat all of my darks by hand :p

Basically, I feel like I was kicking some major *profanity* with my printer but I found out while buying ink recently that I'm not even close to being in the top 10 of highest producing users. I'm wondering if any of you Anajet users that are above the 1500 prints per month range are on here.

What percentage of your time do you spend printing garments vs. printing canvas prints vs. printing promotional items?

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I average about 20-22 days a month. Weekends are actually really big for me because I do car/boat/motorcycle shows as well as all of my kids sporting events. The majority of my jobs are small niche runs but I also actively search for companies and organizatons that will have FUTURE print jobs and convince them ahead of time to design their logos and images in full color instead of 1-4 spot colors...that way, I'm just about the only one that can print it how they want it in the pricerange that they need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's great! I haven't checked my count,but now I'm interested to know where we are on our Anajet. I love this printer and all the active support they have given us. Roxanna and PJ are the best!!
I do a lot of contract printing for other graphic artists. We have struggled withbreaking the "screen" print mind-set and price point. How have you overcome that issue?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have struggled withbreaking the "screen" print mind-set and price point. How have you overcome that issue?
Basically, I exploit the things that I can do with my Sprint that I know screen printers can't. Convince people to do more full color and photographs instead of simple 1-2 color images. Get lists of events from all the local companies and offer to print shirts for each event only 1-2 days before each one. Things like this will completely remove the possibility of your prospects looking for better pricing with screen printers.

If you're stuck with your customers not liking the look of your digital prints, try using a teflon sheet on your heat press instead of parchment paper. That will give your images a "thicker, glossier" look that is more comparable to screen prints.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I average about 20-22 days a month. Weekends are actually really big for me because I do car/boat/motorcycle shows as well as all of my kids sporting events. The majority of my jobs are small niche runs but I also actively search for companies and organizatons that will have FUTURE print jobs and convince them ahead of time to design their logos and images in full color instead of 1-4 spot colors...that way, I'm just about the only one that can print it how they want it in the pricerange that they need.
Hi CoorsDTG,

I've had my Anajet for a little over a year now, and just started using it full time. I'm still trying to market my printing business and was wondering if you have any tips on how to get a steady flow of customers through my doors. I am home based and that is another challenge for me in getting the word out. Any tips would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've done 13,072 total prints (as of yesterday) on my Sprint in about 9.5 months of owning it. Still on all original parts and still having my daughter pretreat all of my darks by hand :p

Basically, I feel like I was kicking some major *profanity* with my printer but I found out while buying ink recently that I'm not even close to being in the top 10 of highest producing users. I'm wondering if any of you Anajet users that are above the 1500 prints per month range are on here.

What percentage of your time do you spend printing garments vs. printing canvas prints vs. printing promotional items?
And also how do you keep track of your t-shirts printing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi CoorsDTG,

I've had my Anajet for a little over a year now, and just started using it full time. I'm still trying to market my printing business and was wondering if you have any tips on how to get a steady flow of customers through my doors. I am home based and that is another challenge for me in getting the word out. Any tips would be great. Thanks.
Hi Jojo
I also work out of my house as one of the main reasons that I bought my Anajet was so I can make a living and spend more time with my kids...so don't listen to those people that think that we can't make money with these printers unless we have a retail storefront. First and formost, I am a salesperson. It doesn't matter how great your prints look or how much you spend on your printer if you're not selling shirts. I spend 2/3 of my time calling/visiting/networking prospective customers and 1/3 actually printing. The BEST piece of advice that I can give is samples, samples, samples! When I bought my Anajet, I sent at least 100 sample shirts out every single month. I print my company information on my samples too so that if someone comes across one months later, they don't have to try to remember who printed it. Print some nice full color images and include a pricelist with quantity price breaks and business cards and send them or deliver them to EVERYONE. Go down each page of the yellowpages if you have to. It will be the best and cheapest form of marketing that you can possibly do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Jojo
I also work out of my house as one of the main reasons that I bought my Anajet was so I can make a living and spend more time with my kids...so don't listen to those people that think that we can't make money with these printers unless we have a retail storefront. First and formost, I am a salesperson. It doesn't matter how great your prints look or how much you spend on your printer if you're not selling shirts. I spend 2/3 of my time calling/visiting/networking prospective customers and 1/3 actually printing. The BEST piece of advice that I can give is samples, samples, samples! When I bought my Anajet, I sent at least 100 sample shirts out every single month. I print my company information on my samples too so that if someone comes across one months later, they don't have to try to remember who printed it. Print some nice full color images and include a pricelist with quantity price breaks and business cards and send them or deliver them to EVERYONE. Go down each page of the yellowpages if you have to. It will be the best and cheapest form of marketing that you can possibly do.
Thanks for the advice. Another question is who do we market DTG printing to. Should there be a cut off limit as far as how many shirts we should print for customers (for example minimum of 1 but max of 70) to maintain good profits? I know we can compete with screen printers as far as pricing so how do you sell to your customers?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And also how do you keep track of your t-shirts printing?
I personally keep some pretty extensive spreadsheets so I can forcast and market accordingly...but there is also a print counter on the Sprint. You can find it by hitting the * button on your control pad and scrolling down to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, new here to T-shirt Forumn. I have had my Sprint since August, I'm not at 13,000 prints though. That's great. I am a little over 8,000 though. Things are going well. Any advice I can give to new owners, learn EK. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, new here to T-shirt Forumn. I have had my Sprint since August, I'm not at 13,000 prints though. That's great. I am a little over 8,000 though. Things are going well. Any advice I can give to new owners, learn EK. :)
Hi!

Are you home-based also? How are you marketing your business?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!

Are you home-based also? How are you marketing your business?
Yes I am home based. I usually take 1 day a week and print some samples for local business and drop them off with my cards. I also go to this industrial area and drop off information about my business.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my printer for a year, I'm still trying to break that screen printing mentality, I would love any help we can get to increase our business. It's been a slow year. I can't even try to compete with the prices screen printers do it for. Ink is expensive! Just had to buy more!

·
Vendor
263 Posts
I would suggest printing samples. If you can get samples/brochure/business cards in the hands of all local business, you should see activity. Also, when you print the sample, make sure you have multiple colors and stress no minimums and unlimited colors in the brochure. Good luck!;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with Karl. My goal when I first started last year was to send out 100 new sample shirts every month. By month 3 I no longer had the time to send that many because I landed a ton of contract printing work through a local sign shop. One of their clients got one of my sample shirts and told the shop to call me because they wanted full color shirts. It's funny the way it works. I still get calls 11 months later from companies that I originally dropped off samples at. Just like a great photographer will "waste" film...I "waste" shirts by sending them to EVERYBODY.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is great! 13,000 WOW! What is your average selling price? Bet you are cleaning up!
I really couldn't be happier with what I've been able to accomplish considering that this printer was supposed to be for sample shirts and side projects. I average around $7 for wholesale customers and $12 for retail. I do have a handful of consistant promo clients that I do for around $4 but they've referred a ton of business to me and I can count on their orders month in and month out.

I started with foil prints not too long ago and have managed to get around $22.50 for them. My goal was to spend the extra $0.10 in foil and double the price of the shirts so I'm almost there. I recommend that everyone gives this a shot. It's a GREAT way to increase revenue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts