T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this sign posted for 100 t's any color everything included how is that possible I charge at least $5.50 plus screens. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It kind a made me sick when I saw it. The funny thing is it's posted a block away from alpha shirts warehouse in Santa Fe springs so i'm sure it's making a lot of printers mad.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a friend call me a few weeks ago and say "How much would it be for 4 colors, on a black shirt be?" (He only wanted 50) I told him my rate.. and he says "Well.. I got a guy that can do that same shirt for $2.50." I told him to take it.. and when he doesnt like the results.. to call me back and I'll honor my rate for him.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I had a friend call me a few weeks ago and say "How much would it be for 4 colors, on a black shirt be?" (He only wanted 50) I told him my rate.. and he says "Well.. I got a guy that can do that same shirt for $2.50." I told him to take it.. and when he doesnt like the results.. to call me back and I'll honor my rate for him.
Why do people want to cut the rates like that? they may be getting customers but they are cutting everyone including themselves. Gotta wonder.
I know I would not do it for that, friend or no friend.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost 2 yrs still new,I bought a plotter from US Cutters and I like it a lot it's perfect for small orders and samples.
yea it would me too. Just give good customer service and quality product and you will be good to go.
How long have you been printing?
do you just do screen printing? (like that's not enough:) )

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I am seeing this more and more often. It is usually a screen printing business' that is home operated or operated by a college student who prints in their basement or studio apartment. They believe since they don't have as much overhead as a shop with employees, large equipment, storefronts, warehouses, etc., that it is okay to under price everything to gain customers.

It pisses me off, and I'm sure it pisses everyone off EXCEPT the end consumer. They just don't understand the chain reaction this causes everyone. We need to keep our industry prices steady, or soon everyone will be out of business (yes,...even home operated business', how are you going to pay your mortgage or rent, if your competitor bids $5.50 per print, you bid $4.40, so on and so on, soon you find yourself being only worth $0.05 per shirt since everyone is under-bidding.) It's called the toilet bowl effect.

All screen printers should have a meeting. ;)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I always tell people to get paid for what you do or what you do isn't worth being paid for. I almost forgot"PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD. .... JB

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It might not be your lone local student working in his basement.

It could be part of the new system of globalization that is starting to spring up in Europe. ie. Chinese people comming to the west starting up privatly controlled businesses, employing illegal chinese immigrants on chinese wages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There will always be someone selling cheap. McDonalds has made billions that way.

Just a different philosophy of business

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go to a good steakhouse and you will see a hamburger for 6.00 They still sell plenty of them because it is a "Quality" burger.. even with a McDonalds across the street.. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i also saw the same sign... made me wonder... they probably get gildan shirts and only make cents per print... wow... that's insane...

it's also kind of close to our shop in montebello... i think i should pay them a visit one day... set they straight...

i've also seen some ads on craigslist... not that cheap... but i think they wanted 400 bucks for a 100 shirts... rush ordered and everything front and back... what a way to cut out the competition...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to the Quick Printing business of the 90's. The defense we used was a sign stating: "You can have it Fast, Cheap, or Good. Pick one!". In building your customer base you don't want that customer. You want a loyal customer that knows you provide good service, good quality, and a fair price. The ones looking only for price will drop you in a minute if they see a cheaper price some place else.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Did you think about trying out their services and let them work to make you life better? If they are willing to work so cheep and put out a decent product, take advantage of their business practices and use them as a subcontractor. At least check out their product so you will know if this is a viable solution. Who knows, they may put a lot of money in your pocket? Otherwise I know how you feel, I have no intention of cutting prices here and will only do so by error ( not knowing the going rate for services)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you think about trying out their services and let them work to make you life better? If they are willing to work so cheep and put out a decent product, take advantage of their business practices and use them as a subcontractor. At least check out their product so you will know if this is a viable solution. Who knows, they may put a lot of money in your pocket? Otherwise I know how you feel, I have no intention of cutting prices here and will only do so by error ( not knowing the going rate for services)
I was thinking about that the other day.I got an order 100 shirts I might check out their work maybe make $250 off of them.:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts