T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this unit, price looks very, very good at about 329...
4 Color Print Station
I'm starting with a 1 station one color hobby press so a four color
would allow me to really explore some graphic options. I looked a the do it yourself and the price is close for a four color press. This is steel and seems more durable in construction but I am always skeptical with on line purchases.

·
Administrator
14,017 Posts
This is the same press silkscreeningsupplies.com use to carry before they went to the silver press. It's a good solid performer. The only drawback is it uses magnets instead of a spring to hold up the screens. Some users have reported "accidental magnet release" at the most inopportune times.

Silkscreening supplies has the newer version on sale for $399, including shipping. If Dharma comes close to that price after you add in shipping, I would go with the silver press.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm in screen printing to stay, been in the graphics end for 2 years in college both for friends and also on the school newspaper (senior graphics editor my second year) but my first time setting up any thing in a shop need to nail the shop end, but I want to market a brand or series of shirts based on themes. I had no idea the shop end was so demanding, always thought the printers were just milking it.............boy was I wrong.

Already in around 800 dollars for a single color single station press, 18x18 flash unit, plastisol, water based inks, thinner for plastisol, all cleaning and reclaiming agents, 12 screens (2 sizes), 2 different scoops, 2 different squeegees, already had all the desktop stuff, printers, computer, adobe 7, corel 12, autocad, 3dstudio max, Rhino, etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm switching, on reorder, to a dual cure emulsion, for finer detail, both water based and plastisol inks, just seems to be better than what I have and the price is better.
wish list
1) 4 color press
2) exposure unit
3) 13x19 printer that will produce dark full size stencils, paper, ink, overlays, ware on machine, just not cost effective
4) washout both
5)entry level conveyor dryer

·
Registered
186 Posts
when you print on dark colors you need to put a white underbase down first for the whole design. you flash it and then add the rest of the colors over it. there are some inks that are really opaque that dont require a white underbase but i have found that they dont work all that great

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only have a single color press for my first few runs, have to make a little cash before I can justify the new press so no opaque under-base on my dark colors, going to try the plastisol with a flash and added coats if needed to get the colors right but I am going to lose the soft hand of the water colors. Quick question on the four color press, I haven't check on discharge fully but can it be added to the water base runs or will anything have to be done so the next color doesn't wash out......................... lag time, flash, full dry????? I have read a little and I know I can do a color discharge to make the colors pop but the full process is still new to me. The white under-base in white can change the hand of the garment from what I've read.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I will be running some print tests tomorrow since most all my screens are done and I need to get my technique down before jumping on the shirts, I am considering a 3 color with very loose registration so I can visually match it and with a one color press it will take a long time but this type of graphic seems very big so I'm going give it a try to see if I can. All my t's.... muscle cars, Celtic, art, architecture, phrases, quotes, etc. are one color on the shirt, one color front second color back

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
will do,
I plan on using water based black and plastisol for the colors with flash between coats I am hoping this will give me some color, but if the hand is to heavy I may wait to take these to market after the 4 color press purchase.
On the dark I will reverse the black to white and use the shirt as the black center color of the mex flag, graphic is cool with the negative look and use all plastisol with a flash between coats.
I am only doing one of each to see if can be done with a single press and overlay of the colors sense registration is will be rough at beast with a single color press. I will go with a four color press before producing anything like this on scale, need to see if it sales anyway. I have already set it up for three color and a white underbase if that happens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick question on the plastisol over water base, they both need to reach 320 for the finial cure but the water base takes longer should I fully cure the water base them run the plastisol and will the second cure affect the water base ink that has been cured already?? maybe I should just use all plastisol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I started with the same press... good press for the $$$. cannot hold tight registration though, can compensate some with trapping. I've printed thousands of shirts with it, just keep it clean or you will run into the magnet problem.
I just upgraded to a Hix 6/6... now I'm in a whole different world!!!!

Latitude 42

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, splathead said basically the same thing, but I am looking at the silver press for 400 from rayonet, I can expand later if needed and I have free shipping with anything over a hundred dollars with them so the price on this unit with shipping is about the same, its a no brainier, the silver press seems to be the better deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts