T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Hopefully someone has the answer to my issue here.

I have a T-Jet 3 with the Equipment Zone bulk Ink system.
Got through the initial issues with it and it has been printing solid for about 7 months. This morning, I started getting the oddest registration problem.

A print starts in registration, but finishes significantly out of registration. For instance, if I print the word repeatedly "TEST" down the length of the shirt, it starts fine for the first 5 or 6 lines. Then it starts to get blury, then it moves out or registration. So by the end of the shirt, it looks like the word "Test" was stamped twice one a little below the first one.

This is on a single pass, not on coming back for a second hit.

I have tried cleaning EVERYTHING and have no avail.
Anyone have any ideas, none of my normal tricks seem to fix this. It has completely shut me down for the time being.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Trying running it in unidirectional mode. In bidirectional mode, the print head will fire going both ways across the platen and that could result in what looks like a two-pass misregistration. If this is the case, there there is an issue with bidirectional priniting. Might also want to check to make sure that the platen is level and at the right distance from the bottom of the print head.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying running it in unidirectional mode. In bidirectional mode, the print head will fire going both ways across the platen and that could result in what looks like a two-pass misregistration. If this is the case, there there is an issue with bidirectional priniting. Might also want to check to make sure that the platen is level and at the right distance from the bottom of the print head.

Best wishes,

Mark
Thanks for the feedback. I have been playing with the platen, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. The unidirectional mode seems like a good choice, but I have no idea how to do that.

Care to elaborate?

Let me give a bit of history. I am at least one of if not THE LAST person to buy a T-Jet from US Screen before they went tits up. So my support from them was exactly none. Harry at Equipment zone has been really awesome on support, but since they got inundated with support requests, they had to start charging for support calls. We haven't been able to afford a support plan yet.

So I've had to figure this thing out mostly through trial and error and reading this forum.

So all that said...how do I switch on unidirectional mode?

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
From Justin in our Support Department:

Sounds like an issue with the encoder wheel, located under the front 'nub' of the printer. Either this needs to be cleaned or the print bed is not moving smoothly/binding up. Moving the printer slowly in and out by hand should show if there is anything causing the printer to bind. Also ensure that the printer is on a level surface as will help as well.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Harry.

Any chance there is a guide for dealing with the encoder wheel? I want to say I've seen a technician mess with it once, maybe to adjust torque?

Anyway, totally alien part of the machine to me. If there is any guide for dealing with it it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I have cleaned the encoder wheel, it had some residue on it, but not much. And I have also figured out how to turn unidirectional printing on. Neither of these things helped.

I have also gotten a level out and made sure the printing surface is level and that the platten is level as well. I have also adjusted the garment hight from the print head several times.

I have also narrowed down the problem a bit, the printing starts out fine and start losing alignment about 6 inches down the print, roughly halfway through. I can push the carriage by hand, and nothing really seems to be binding up, but I don't really have anything to compare it too.

Could there be a loss of traction on the screw drive? I'm really at a loss here and don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Jason, That's pretty extreme. I'm with Justin...perhaps a dirty spot on the encoder wheel. If you are watching it, does it shake or dance when it gets down to that spot?

Ian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is definitely extreme :)

I don't really notice it having an issue at that spot, but I don't really have much to compare it to. My machine has always had a little dance to it, but I don't know if it's better or worse than anyone else/the norm because I've never seen another T-Jet 3 in action.

Yes, it's on a level, sturdy, stationary base.

This is just a brand new problem.

So I cleaned the encoder wheel to the best of my knowledge, does anyone have a "best practices" for cleaning it. I will go over it again.

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much everyone.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
From looks of the picture it looks like it was printed in 2 passes. Am I correct? I know you said you were doing one pass but have to ask, never seen a one pass registration problem like that. If the registration is off from top to bottom it is mechanical, if it is left to right it is an alignment problem with the print head. This is obviously mechanical. For most printers cleaning the encoder wheel fixes the issue, but T3's had/have major issues with registration, along with having trouble with mother boards. It is a design flaw that causes the issue. If I remember correctly,the flaw is the small belt up front where the encoder wheel is located. That small belt drives the heavy bed. Only thing that I can recommend is to try tightening the belt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, that is from just one pass.

Thats why I put "one pass" in the title, because I agree it looks it was hit 2 times.

It's really the damnedest thing I've ever seen. Half of the print is fine, and the bottom half is COMPLETELY jacked up. The only saving grace of this is that most of what we print is in that top half, but really how long until this problem spreads.

Ok, I will try to tighten the drive belt. But tight drive belts seem to have issues with this machine as well.

Really wish I would have found this forum BEFORE buying the T-Jet 3 . Thanks everyone for your support. I will let you know how the belt tightening works.

Feel free to add your 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Just curious, but does this happen to all your designs? Looks like the text is messed up, but the artwork looks fine. Just wondering you put two of the same artwork on the print (one lower than the other) and remove the text if the same thing happens. If so, then you definitely have a hardware issue unfortunately.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, it is happening on all prints pass the "point of no return" on the platten.

On that particular photo, I have been testing and retesting to get it lined up right to the point where the problem stops. Even so, the bottom of that artwork is coming out of registration, even though it still looks ok.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check the sensor that reads the encoder wheel, it might be off its place or have accumulated dust and does not read the encoder right

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there anyway to know if the sensor is out of place. It looks like its in the right place, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Anyone got a working T-Jet 3 that's willing to take a picture and show it to me so I can compare?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Touch it, if it moves then it might have left its position. If not then check if it is dirty.
On the other hand the fact that the problem starts always in the same position points that the problem is in an another part of your machine

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
I don't know much about the Tjet3, but the Tjet and Tjet2 had a white strip on the right side of the bed that was a thick vinyl. If that gets bunched up or isn't smooth, you can get abnormal prints. Maybe someone who knows the Tjet3 can elaborate more on the technicalities of what I'm talking about or if this is even on the TJet3.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have a pet T3, Actually more like an exotic pet, lots of care and attention. Have you done a print head alignment from the epson driver. Also there is an adjustment program you should have that checks several alignments and settings. In the back of the drive there is a square box where the drive connects. There are 4 allen head bolts on the outside corners of the box, not the ones in the center. loosen slightly the 4 bolts, run the bed back and forth 5-10 times then snug up the bolts. This realigns the bed. Usually this problem presents itself as a bed that will not set to inital position after it runs all the way back. Never starts the epson head self test, where it moves back and forth at the start. But you never can tell, should not hurt. The encoder wheel on the front should not move, feel fairly firm, check for dirt in the teeth of the belt that turns the wheel, may need to use a needle to pick out dirt. Belt look in good condition, maybe teeth missing on the belt or wore out. PM me I have some pics of the front drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts