Black T shirt advice - T-Shirt Forums
 

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?





Site Navigation








+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > TexJet
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Polyprint TexJet DTG owners.



Black T shirt advice

Like Tree4Likes

 
Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 3:00:24 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

roland1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Default Black T shirt advice

I print a perfect white image, i cure and get a perfect white image on a black tee @90%
I print a 2 pass colour image on a black tee the white is perfect, it then prints the colour overlay and the image looks vibrant and perfect, i cure and the image finishes up looking dull and has lost it's vibrancy
any tips please on getting a good vibrant image on a black tee?
i am so frustrated with this DTG printing
Thank you
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 3:56:47 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

AnACustomPrints's Avatar
 
You can call me: Gene
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Don't know if this will solve the problem 325-335 degrees

1.After printing let the shirt set for a near minute.
2.Hover the press about 3/8 inch above the shirt for i1minute.

3. Cover with Teflon and let the press sit on the shirt for 30 sec.

4. Press with moderate pressure for 30 sec.
5. Lift and release steam and repress for 30 sec.
6.Lift and release steam and repress for 30 seconds.
Time consuming but you should get a bright print and immediately washable.
__________________
Gene http://anacustomprints.com
DTG, Vinyl, Wholesale Fulfillment. POD,organic T's, anacustomprints.com
 
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 4:07:06 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan
Thread Starter

roland1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnACustomPrints
Don't know if this will solve the problem 325-335 degrees

1.After printing let the shirt set for a near minute.
2.Hover the press about 3/8 inch above the shirt for i1minute.

3. Cover with Teflon and let the press sit on the shirt for 30 sec.

4. Press with moderate pressure for 30 sec.
5. Lift and release steam and repress for 30 sec.
6.Lift and release steam and repress for 30 seconds.
Time consuming but you should get a bright print and immediately washable.
Thank you for your reply, the temp is correct, my my curing time is supposed to be 180 seconds, so maybe i'll try your method 5-6 times,
does it have to be teflon or could i use parchment paper?
thank you
 
 
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 4:13:23 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

AnACustomPrints's Avatar
 
You can call me: Gene
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Teflon gives a glossier image, Kraft paper gives a more matte finish. Can't say about parchment.
__________________
Gene http://anacustomprints.com
DTG, Vinyl, Wholesale Fulfillment. POD,organic T's, anacustomprints.com
 
The Following User Says Thank You to AnACustomPrints For This Useful Post:
roland1 (July 23rd, 2018)
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 4:19:51 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan
Thread Starter

roland1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnACustomPrints
Teflon gives a glossier image, Kraft paper gives a more matte finish. Can't say about parchment.
Thank you Gene
 
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 6:44:58 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

that's because the color is pushed into the white layer.
Hover the press for a minute or so, and then lower it to the point where it is just about touching the shirt. You don't really need pressure for the printing stage of DTG.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
roland1 (July 23rd, 2018)
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 7:55:46 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan
Thread Starter

roland1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Is anyone else curing at 300 for 3 mins? a friend just told me, no wonder theres no colour your cooking the garment?
thank you
 
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 9:38:32 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1
Is anyone else curing at 300 for 3 mins? a friend just told me, no wonder theres no colour your cooking the garment?
thank you
I've heard this a few times.
I think it is because people are using different amounts of pretreatment and dry it to different levels before printing. A dry shirt will not take 3 minutes to cure.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
roland1 (July 23rd, 2018)
Old July 26th, 2018 Jul 26, 2018 11:34:46 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

zerg71's Avatar
 
You can call me: zerg
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Roland,
curing time depends on ink that you use. DuPont inks needs to be cured for 3 mins (dark) and 1,5 min (white) compared to Polyprint power inks: 1,5 min (dark) and 30 sec (white).
 
The Following User Says Thank You to zerg71 For This Useful Post:
roland1 (July 26th, 2018)
Old July 27th, 2018 Jul 27, 2018 8:05:43 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerg71
Roland,
curing time depends on ink that you use. DuPont inks needs to be cured for 3 mins (dark) and 1,5 min (white) compared to Polyprint power inks: 1,5 min (dark) and 30 sec (white).
Not true!
As I've already said... a dry shirt will NOT take 3 minutes to cure. The reason Polyprint power inks do cure faster is because they contain more binder. Screen-printing inks with even higher binder content, can cure in 15-30 seconds when using a heat-press. Also the method of curing is important. A heat press will cure the ink much faster than a conveyor dryer.

In more detail:

First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if DuPont makes the Polyprint inks, as they do make inks for many brands.
Second, DuPont guidelines are 330F /165C for 120 seconds. However, these are ONLY guidelines, in an attempt to create one setting for as many types of fabric as possible. In reality the optimal settings will vary a lot.

A few examples:

  • A lightweight, 100% cotton shirt, can be cured in 50-60 seconds at 360F /185C. The same shirt, if damp, will need around 120 seconds.
  • A dry, lightweight poly-cotton shirt (5/95) will need around 90 seconds at 350F /175C... But a damp one will need 180 seconds.
  • A lightweight poly-cotton shirt (35/65) may need around 5 minutes or more at at 320F /160C. Dry or damp...makes no much difference in this case.
These are rough estimates of what I can remember from the tests I've done with DuPont inks. I ended up with a list of more than 50 settings, which kept growing, until I had enough with the regular DTG printing method, and gave up. I now use my own hybrid method, and only 2 settings for everything:
  • 100% Cotton: 50 seconds combined cure time at 360F /185C).
  • Poly-Cotton: 90 seconds combined cure time at 320F /160C).
Some tips:
  • If you are using a heat press, you should do multiple 30sec pressings, up to the time required, using the highest temperature the fabric and the ink can take. If are using a conveyor dryer, you should reduce the temperature, and increase the time as required to prevent charring the shirt.
  • Be careful with poly-cotton t-shirts. Too high temperature, and/or too much time, will make the fabric very fragile, and will fall apart with the first stretch... as you try to wear it for example. Don't forget to do a stretching test before starting to using a particular setting in production.
zerg71 and roland1 like this.
 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
roland1 (July 27th, 2018), zerg71 (July 30th, 2018)
Old July 27th, 2018 Jul 27, 2018 8:16:19 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan
Thread Starter

roland1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Not true!
As I've already said... a dry shirt will NOT take 3 minutes to cure. The reason Polyprint power inks do cure faster is because they contain more binder. Screen-printing inks with even higher binder content, can cure in 15-30 seconds when using a heat-press. Also the method of curing is important. A heat press will cure the ink much faster than a conveyor dryer.

In more detail:

First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if DuPont makes the Polyprint inks, as they do make inks for many brands.
Second, DuPont guidelines are 330F /165C for 120 seconds. However, these are ONLY guidelines, in an attempt to create one setting for as many types of fabric as possible. In reality the optimal settings will vary a lot.

A few examples:

  • A lightweight, 100% cotton shirt, can be cured in 50-60 seconds at 360F /185C. The same shirt, if damp, will need around 120 seconds.
  • A dry, lightweight poly-cotton shirt (5/95) will need around 90 seconds at 350F /175C... But a damp one will need 180 seconds.
  • A lightweight poly-cotton shirt (35/65) may need around 5 minutes or more at at 320F /160C. Dry or damp...makes no much difference in this case.
These are rough estimates of what I can remember from the tests I've done with DuPont inks. I ended up with a list of more than 50 settings, which kept growing, until I had enough with the regular DTG printing method, and gave up. I now use my own hybrid method, and only 2 settings for everything:
  • 100% Cotton: 50 seconds combined cure time at 360F /185C).
  • Poly-Cotton: 90 seconds combined cure time at 320F /160C).
Some tips:
  • If you are using a heat press, you should do multiple 30sec pressings, up to the time required, using the highest temperature the fabric and the ink can take. If are using a conveyor dryer, you should reduce the temperature, and increase the time as required to prevent charring the shirt.
  • Be careful with poly-cotton t-shirts. Too high temperature, and/or too much time, will make the fabric very fragile, and will fall apart with the first stretch... as you try to wear it for example. Don't forget to do a stretching test before starting to using a particular setting in production.
Thank you tabob, i have been experimenting with your advised setting (30 sec) and slowly but surely there is an improvement, i have gone from a 3 min press to 3x30 and 1 x 1 min, there is an improvement
 
Old July 30th, 2018 Jul 30, 2018 10:28:52 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

zerg71's Avatar
 
You can call me: zerg
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

TABOB,
thank you for sharing your experience with us. I get the information about time and temperature of curing DuPont and Polyprint inks from my distributor and it was 4 years ago so it might change.
 
Old July 30th, 2018 Jul 30, 2018 10:38:28 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan
Thread Starter

roland1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerg71
TABOB,
thank you for sharing your experience with us. I get the information about time and temperature of curing DuPont and Polyprint inks from my distributor and it was 4 years ago so it might change.
Hi Zerg, i was given the 3 min curing from the distributor only 5 months ago ? have you tried the 30 sec x ? curing?
 
Old July 31st, 2018 Jul 31, 2018 1:09:41 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

zerg71's Avatar
 
You can call me: zerg
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Hi Roland,
I am happy with results of 1,5 min curing (160 celsius degree). I can't see any difference when curing 3x30 sec. I tried it once because someone told me that will improve the washability but it did not.

What press are you using? Is it a special press with permeable bottom surface? It helps to get the steam out. At the beggining of my adventure with DTG I used a solid, hard bottom (good for vinyl, sublimation etc, but not DTG) and then we bought new, dedicated dor DTG. It improved situation a lot.
 
Old July 31st, 2018 Jul 31, 2018 1:39:59 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan
Thread Starter

roland1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Default Re: Black T shirt advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerg71
Hi Roland,
I am happy with results of 1,5 min curing (160 celsius degree). I can't see any difference when curing 3x30 sec. I tried it once because someone told me that will improve the washability but it did not.

What press are you using? Is it a special press with permeable bottom surface? It helps to get the steam out. At the beggining of my adventure with DTG I used a solid, hard bottom (good for vinyl, sublimation etc, but not DTG) and then we bought new, dedicated dor DTG. It improved situation a lot.
ahh yes zerg, if i recall you are using power inks correct?
i press with a geo knight DK 20s
 






This is a discussion about Black T shirt advice that was posted in the TexJet section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.


Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)
.

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to heat-press a circular logo onto a black shirt Jiikim Heat Press and Heat Transfers 12 April 29th, 2017 05:17 PM
Garment Creator Print in Black and White on a Colour Shirt tacitoreis Epson SureColor DTG Printers 3 April 16th, 2017 10:44 AM
How to achieve max contrast when printing white halftones on a black shirt rockwell Plastisol Ink Screen Printing 0 January 10th, 2016 07:57 PM
White t shirt with black print w/ customer doing their own tie dye?? Fanatic General T-Shirt Selling Discussion 2 June 17th, 2015 05:44 PM
Printing pink on black poly shirt Barba8756 Plastisol Ink Screen Printing 1 November 26th, 2014 11:36 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 T-ShirtForums.com. All rights reserved.