[TEXJET] Non-pressurized ink cartridge - No harm? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > TexJet
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Polyprint TexJet DTG owners.

[TEXJET] Non-pressurized ink cartridge - No harm?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zerg71

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 27th, 2018 Mar 27, 2018 11:20:44 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Non-pressurized ink cartridge - No harm?

Hello, forum,

By default Polyprint has pressurized ink cartridges. Since I need to replace the ink cartridges, I was wondering what if I replace it with non-pressurized ink cartridges? Is there any risk?

The cartridge is 160ml

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2018 Mar 28, 2018 1:18:14 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: zerg

Default Re: Non-pressurized ink cartridge - No harm?

Hello,

I don't know if there is even a possibilty to turn the printer on with such cartridges (probably you will get the error code that tells that there are no cartridges installed).

Even if you'll be able to turn it on, it's risky due to high density of DTG inks. Epson 3880 is made for printing photos on paper. Not for t-shirts.

I use original cartridges, original, fresh, properly agitated inks and I still have problems with those printers
gndspice likes this.

Old March 28th, 2018 Mar 28, 2018 11:29:55 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerg71
Even if you'll be able to turn it on, it's risky due to high density of DTG inks.
Thank for your reply.

What do you mean by high density of inks?

Old March 29th, 2018 Mar 29, 2018 1:23:59 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Epson 3880 (which is the base of all TexJets expect Shortee model - made of P600 if I remember correctly) original ink (that you use to print photos on paper) is water based and don't clog at all. You don't need to wet cap the printhead or do all this annoying maintenace. Just push the cleaning button and there you are. You can leave the printer idle for days or months. Even if your printhead is clogged I think there is a much bigger chance to restore it than when using DTG inks.

DTG inks (CMYK) are also water-based but it's totally different chemistry and physics. By more dense I mean more solid. They're made this way because everyone would like to achieve great prints and great washability on shirts etc. White ink is made of TiO2 which makes it the hardest ink to maintain.

We are all jeting the solid, dense inks which tends to clog with modified desktop printers. I mean that's the way how it works on almost all DTG printers on the market. Expectation is: Epson F2000/F2100 (which are also very problematic from what I see), Kornit, Aeoon (but the last two are also not-trouble free and are rather industrial machines than printer for a small shop or hobbyst).

I dream about the day when you can just turn printer on, print some tees, then simply turn it off and go home without a fear

Old March 29th, 2018 Mar 29, 2018 5:29:45 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Talking Re: Non-pressurized ink cartridge - No harm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerg71
Epson 3880 (which is the base of all TexJets expect Shortee model - made of P600 if I remember correctly) original ink (that you use to print photos on paper) is water based and don't clog at all. You don't need to wet cap the printhead or do all this annoying maintenace. Just push the cleaning button and there you are. You can leave the printer idle for days or months. Even if your printhead is clogged I think there is a much bigger chance to restore it than when using DTG inks.

DTG inks (CMYK) are also water-based but it's totally different chemistry and physics. By more dense I mean more solid. They're made this way because everyone would like to achieve great prints and great washability on shirts etc. White ink is made of TiO2 which makes it the hardest ink to maintain.

We are all jeting the solid, dense inks which tends to clog with modified desktop printers. I mean that's the way how it works on almost all DTG printers on the market. Expectation is: Epson F2000/F2100 (which are also very problematic from what I see), Kornit, Aeoon (but the last two are also not-trouble free and are rather industrial machines than printer for a small shop or hobbyst).

I dream about the day when you can just turn printer on, print some tees, then simply turn it off and go home without a fear
Well said. I have he same dream
I am aware of how the printers are made and the ink chemestry, im just wondering why the none-pressurized ink cartridge could fail or cause harm. Because no matter what cartridge you use the ink supply unit is filled 100% with ink.

Last edited by Plesau; March 29th, 2018 at 09:53 PM..

Old March 29th, 2018 Mar 29, 2018 11:35:37 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

This machine needs to have a pressure to give a good flow of ink. On the left side of the printer you have a air pressure pump. It's there because of some reason.

Even the ink level in the cartridges is important (a little lower than max is where the printer works the best) so I bet you will just destroy yours if you'll use cartridges that you mentioned. But I may be wrong, that are just my thoughts. I am just a user with 4+ years of experience

This is a discussion about Non-pressurized ink cartridge - No harm? that was posted in the TexJet section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in